Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Multihoming inbound decisions

radu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an ASR1001X with 3 BGP sessions from 3 different AS. All 3 sessions is working great but I have a congestion problem with one of them.

Actually I have 1Gbps with AS1 and is at 100% of incoming traffic, another one with AS2 at 50~60% and one 10G at only 5~10% with AS3.

All outgoing traffic from our IP's are going out to AS3 with local preferences but I what I want to achieve is that incomming traffic come from AS2 and AS3 and don't slow all down trying to go by AS1.

Idk if I explained it correctly but I don't have access to the remote BGP routers and can't do anyting in the remote nodes.

I tried setting metrics, local preferences prepends (actually I have AS1 with 10 prepends but still don't goes down).

As I can understand is that AS1 have shortest routes to the "internet" but I need something to modify it.

Anyone can give me a hint on what to do?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You can remove any ASPath additions to manipulate existing traffic test what link the traffic will choose. You can also test by checking 'bgp looking glass'. Also, you can use MED to manipulate incoming traffic. Check cisco config exaples for the same. You may need to work with other end admins (or your ISPs) for this.

hth

MS

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You can remove any ASPath additions to manipulate existing traffic test what link the traffic will choose. You can also test by checking 'bgp looking glass'. Also, you can use MED to manipulate incoming traffic. Check cisco config exaples for the same. You may need to work with other end admins (or your ISPs) for this.

hth

MS

Hello,

I was trying different ways and finally got it splitting it in separated routers (10G with no prepends in one asr1001x and other two in another asr1001x with 10 prepends each) now I have 30-40% in the 10G peering and other 2 pees at 50-60 each one)

My fault was expecting "instant" reaults applying the changes but by my surprise waiting 2 hours traffic starts to move to the 10G.

Thanks for all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card