cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP network and ospf network

petercinvest
Level 1
Level 1

I understand that BGP is not a routing protocol, but I do see people put network command under router bgp 1 , for example network 11.11.11.11.

so what does this for? 

in OSPF, i can understand that if we put network 11.11.11.11, it advertise the network. is it same for bgp?

4 Replies 4

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

a) BGP is a routing protocol,

b) "network 11.11.11.11" under "router bgp 1" is one of ways how to get the 11.11.11.11 prefix into your router BGP table.

BR,

Milan

then what's the difference between under router bgp 1 command:

network 11.11.11.11 and neighbor 11.11.11.11

Hi,

neighbor 11.11.11.11 is used to establish BGP peering to a neighbor.

network 11.11.11.11 is used to get the  local 11.11.11.11 prefix to the BGP table.

Read the command reference or this discussion:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11495456/fundamental-bgp-network-xxxx-command-question

BR,

Milan

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As already noted by Milan, BGP is a routing protocol.

As also already noted by Milan, you can use a BGP network statement to inform BGP to accept a network prefix, but the network statement works a bit differently for BGP than it does for OSPF.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card