Views
Helpful
Replies

Bgp peers are in different subnet

saidcr7
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

Hope all are doing good. I read about that bgp doesn't need peers are in same subnet. If it true then how can I configure it. Is there any particular requirement for the configuration. Kindly guide me

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

iBGP 
direct accept 
non direct accept but the both Peer IP use for BGP must reachable via static or IGP routing protocol 

eBGP 
direct accept 
non direct accept but the both Peer IP use for BGP must reachable via static or IGP routing protocol additional you must config one of two 
1- disable  connect check, this mainly use when you use LO as source of BGP 
2- eBGP multihop this is the eBGP is far than two hops (you can also use it if you use LO as source of BGP)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello 

It depends. BGP protocol worrks on top of a layer 4 protocol which is TCP. Theorically you can stablish BGP peering between router even though they are in different network.  But there are some details. 

Search for feature like "disable connected check command" and "bgp multi hop " among other feature that allows you create BGP connection across networks.

Thank you for being so helpful.

iBGP 
direct accept 
non direct accept but the both Peer IP use for BGP must reachable via static or IGP routing protocol 

eBGP 
direct accept 
non direct accept but the both Peer IP use for BGP must reachable via static or IGP routing protocol additional you must config one of two 
1- disable  connect check, this mainly use when you use LO as source of BGP 
2- eBGP multihop this is the eBGP is far than two hops (you can also use it if you use LO as source of BGP)

I had been searching for reliable answers to my question and you have certainly provided them. Thank you for being so helpful.

You are so so welcome 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card