Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP query

yashdedhiya
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I hv two ISP connection. ISP1 peering has done on one router for 3 of my networks(x.x.x.x). ISP2 peering has done for one network (y.y.y.y) on another router.HSRP is running between these two routers. I am advertising all my 4 networks via both router (ISP 1 and ISP2)But the problem i'm facing is that i'm receiving advertisement via my 2nd ISP and not via ISP1.

I want to rx x.x.x.x n/w via ISP 1 and y.y.y.y via ISP2. But both n/w (i.e x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y) is rxed by ISP 2.

I hv done the prepending of ISP2 network block in ISP1 router and ISP1 network block in ISP2 router.

Please find the attached ISP 1 and ISP 2 router configuration.

7 Replies 7

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi there,

Lets agree on a couple of facts, using perpending has nothing to do with receiving advertisements from you ISPs, its all about filtering (using destribute-list, prefix-list or route-map), accordingly i can't understand the use of "neighbor x.x.x.x distribute-list 40 in" ?

regards,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi!!!,

Ya i know that.I want x.x.x.x n/w to be available via ISP 1 and same x.x.x.x n/w to rx via ISP 2 but as a backup path and y.y.y.y n/w to be be rx from ISP 2 as primary and y.y.y.y n/w to be rx from ISP 1 as backup.With Distribute list we can either filter the ip network block.

In my case i want to rxe all ip blocks and not to block and ip blocks.i.e i want x.x.x.x/24 to rx via ISP 1 as primary and x.x.x.x/24 to rx via ISP 2 as backup when primary fails.same way for y.y.y.y/24 ip network block.

Please do let me know ur reply.

Waiting for ur reply.

Regards,

Yash

Hi!!!,

Ya i know that.I want x.x.x.x n/w to be available via ISP 1 and same x.x.x.x n/w to rx via ISP 2 but as a backup path and y.y.y.y n/w to be be rx from ISP 2 as primary and y.y.y.y n/w to be rx from ISP 1 as backup.With Distribute list we can either filter the ip network block.

In my case i want to rxe all ip blocks and not to block and ip blocks.i.e i want x.x.x.x/24 to rx via ISP 1 as primary and x.x.x.x/24 to rx via ISP 2 as backup when primary fails.same way for y.y.y.y/24 ip network block.

Waiting for ur reply.

Regards,

Yash

Hi!!!,

Waiting for ur reply.

Regards,

Yash

Hi there,

Ok i got you now, your prepending configuration seems ok, look what you're gonna do now is contact your 2 providers to make sure that they receive your routes with the correct prepending as this can't be checked from your local routers.

regards,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Ok fine thanks for ur suggestion

Hi Yash,

Check with ISP1 whether they are doing route Aggregation/summarization and if the AS path information are being advertised intact by them to their upstream.

thanks and regards

Ashish

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card