Helpful
Replies

BGP Routing

initiaz.ali
Level 1
Level 1

Topology

Topology.PNG

Above is the simple topology based on which I have the scenario which I would like to resolve:

Notes:

1. BGP running between routers

2. Networks behind each ISP can transit into each other using DC1 and DC2.

3. Site 1 - has TPG IPVPN connection

4. Site - has OPTUS IPVPN connection.

Issue: Site 1 when reaching Site 2 uses the path : Site1->TPG Core->DC2->OPTUS Core->Site 2

Reason: The AS Path via DC2 is lower.

I want the preferred path to be Site1-TPG Core -> DC1 OPTUS Core -> Site 2

DC2 only to be used as transit if transit via DC1 is not available.

Note: We have control of the CEs. 

Is there any possible configuration that can be applied to the CE routers at the DC that can help achieve the preferred transit to be DC1.

Thanks 

5 Replies 5

Hi,

If you have control of OPTUS CORE (Site 1) and TPG CORE (Site 2), you can play with BGP attributes to choose which path to take. As of now, Site 1 -> Site 2 traffic goes through DC2 because of shorter AS-path (as you mentioned). If you want to change the path so that Site 1 -> Site 2 traffic passes through DC1, change local preference on TPG CORE for Site 2 paths learned through DC1 to a higher value. You will need to do the same on OPTUS CORE. 

HTH,

Meheretab

HTH,
Meheretab

Hello

You mention CE rtrs so I am assuming this is a MPLS l3 vpn topology as such I would expect there to be MP-BGP between the core rtrs which would be your PE rtrs and in that case your CE rtr would just be peering with their related PE rtr (single peer) if this is correct I am not so sure you have any control on this TBH - Can you confirm?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

Correct. This is the simulation of our production network on GNS3. The only control in production that I have is on CEs. 

Hello

TBH I cannot think of a way how you would be able personally manipulate the mpls path with a single CE peering, maybe others on this forum could assist.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul

In fact I have come to the same conclusion that its not possible to control the preferred path for site with single connection when going from Site 1 to Site 2.

The default path is being decided by the BGP using the lower AS-Path. 

I guess I will just have to go with that for now unless someone here knows otherwise.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card