cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP ttl-security hops and traceroute

Adam Soukup
Beginner
Beginner

My router is peered to another via BGP. Pings are allowed but traceroute is not. I am trying to implement ttl security hops, but the configuration causes my peers to drop. It doesn't matter if I set the hop count from 1 to 250, same results. Is traceroute traffic required to use this feature?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @Adam Soukup ,

Is traceroute traffic required to use this feature?

traceroute is not used or required by this feature.

Make sure you configure "neighbor x.x.x.x ttl-security" on both neighbors. If the neighbors are directly connected, you need to use "neighbor x.x.x.x ttl-security hops 1" on both sides.

The issue with running the ttl-security only on one side, is that the eBGP neighbor not configured with this feature will send a TTL of 1 by default instead of TTL of 255 when the ttl-security feature is configured. This will cause the neighbor configured with the ttl-security feature to silently drop the packets and the BGP session not to come up.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @Adam Soukup ,

Is traceroute traffic required to use this feature?

traceroute is not used or required by this feature.

Make sure you configure "neighbor x.x.x.x ttl-security" on both neighbors. If the neighbors are directly connected, you need to use "neighbor x.x.x.x ttl-security hops 1" on both sides.

The issue with running the ttl-security only on one side, is that the eBGP neighbor not configured with this feature will send a TTL of 1 by default instead of TTL of 255 when the ttl-security feature is configured. This will cause the neighbor configured with the ttl-security feature to silently drop the packets and the BGP session not to come up.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Adam Soukup
Beginner
Beginner

Thank you Harold, perfect explanation. It sounds like I will need to coordinate with peer router owners. Thanks again.

You are very welcome Adam.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers