Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP with ospf or eigrp???

get_rthym
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am really confused about using bgp and ospf/eigrp(igp) together.

Why do we have to use both protocols at the same time. if we can use ospf or eigrp with isp, why do we have to configure bgp then. If isp is using igp , then can't we just use igp only then.

i donot think this for redundancy, as if serial goes down both protocols will, isn't it ?

Also how does connection work when two protocols are active between two routers ?

Can someone please clarify me, really confused.

Regards,

Lek

13 Replies 13

Vaibhava Varma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Lek

BGP and IGP provide the same purpose of transporting routes and depict the same behaviour from functionality wise ie maintaing neighbourship and exchanging routinf updates and hence both are suspectible to same level for directly connected neighbour link failure.

When we have multiple protocols running between a pair of routes and all the protocols exchanging the same route then the best path is selected and placed into the routing table and there is a contention among different routing protocols based on the Administrative Distance Value ( which is an indicative of the usefulness of the routing protocol) and the routing protocol with lowest AD wins.

BGP was introduced and is used as a protocol to exchange routing information among different organizations and individual organizations run IGP in their network to provide transport reachability for the BGP Speaking Routers of their network. With the help of BGP an ISP easily transports the Customer routes to Internet without having the IGP learn about those routes and face scalability issues. Another issue is when there is single IGP for all over the Internet a slight change in any one part of the Internet would have the IGP work again and again for route updations and convergence.

BGP is more scalable in terms of handling the size of the Internet Routing Table we have seen over the last few years. IGPs are not scalable to support that.

BGP is more efficient in manipulating routing updates as compared to IGPs and is the preferred choice for that reason.

Hope this helps to answer your query

Reagrds

Varma

get_rthym
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Varma,

Thanks for your quick reply.

But i still don't understand. Let me make my question little clear.

I have seen this somewhere...  suppose: there are two links between Router A (ce)--&--Router B(pe)

loopback interface is used to connect A and B for bgp and no network advertisements.

Again eigrp is configured between A and B with normal network statements giving load balancing

between two links.

So, in this case is bgp really necessary n if so what for ?

regards

lek

Hi Lek

Looking at the setup in question

lo0                                              lo0

---------------Link1-------------------

CEA                                            PEB

-----------------Link2-------------------

Load-balncing can be achived using any of the routing protocol whether BGP or IGP (EIGRP). Both have their own mechanism to do that. If we are using EIGRP as an RP and getting the Load-Balaning then BGP is not needed at all. I think the configuration which was being seen might be an old configuration when BGP was being tried for achieving load-balancing and later moved to EIGRP. The BGP configuration should have been cleaned up.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

Varma

Thanks for your reponse again Varma.

I was actually looking at the cisco site below.

Please take a notice at the first load balancing example.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800945bf.shtml

Regards,

lek

Hi Lek

We can do Load-Balancing using either RP. As I have said before both RP have their own way of implementing the Load-Balancing. Its our choice what RP we want to use with ISP.

Do you have any specific question for achieving Load-Balancing using BGP as an RP with the ISP ?

Regards

Varma

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

There are two primary reasons why BGP is deployed.  First, it can handle very large route tables, e.g. the Internet's.  Second, it generally provides much more "control" only what information is exchanged between routing domains and how BGP will chose a path for a destination.  It's the latter reason why it's so often used between routing domains when there isn't a need for BGP scalability.

Is some ways BGP might be thought of as a simple routing protocol (super RIP) with the additional control of static and policy based routing.

Within a routing domain, an IGP is often being used even within large ISP.  For them, their IGP of choice is often IS-IS.

There are several reason for using an IGP even when BGP is also used.  Generally, IGPs converge faster.  iBGP itself relies on interior reachability often provided by an IGP.  You've asked about load balancing.  BGP by default tends to prefer/use a single path where most IGPs easily support multiple path usage.

To your question about what a router does when it has more than one active routing protocol, there's Administrative Distance which provides the sequence of which routing protocol to trust first.  By default, Cisco routers will use statics, and then eBGP, and then an IGP (with different rankings for those) and then iBGP.

Hi Varma,

I was just curious because i have also seen some networks where bgp and ospf are used together with ipsec vpn.

So, i wanted to know if ospf can do neighboring and routing stuff, what's the use of implementing bgp there?

Regards,

lek

Hi Lek

Ok I see your point....from what you are saying if we take an MPLS VPN Service from ISP and use OSPF as PE-CE Routing Protocol to make reachability of the remote side LAN and then establish an IPSec VPN between the two site LANs and then use BGP on top those IPSec VPN for the actual routing. In that case we might happen to see both OSPF and BGP as the RP configured on the router. But there would no be no such case when we will see OSPF and BGP between same directly connected PE-CE.

Regards

Varma

Hi,

if you are using a L3 MPLS VPN, what's the use of a IPSec VPN? These are 2 ways of doing VPNs which are used in totally different cases.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Varma,

Thank you for your response.

My question is there.

"in that case we might happen to see both OSPF and BGP as the RP configured on the router". Why?

Wouldn't customer use only ospf and let isp redistribute bgp routes rather than using two protocols at the

same time?

And thank you Joseph too for your reply.

Regards,

lek

Hi,

if you are using  a MPLS VPN with ISP then you can choose which protocol you want to use with the PE, it could be OSPF or EIGRP or BGP or even static routing.But you only choose 1 which doesn't mean that you can't use OSPF for internal routing with other routers in your site.Indeed in MPLS VPN the ISP is redistributing your prefixes into MP-BGP on ingress PE and has an iBGP peering with the egress PE and a BGP free core using MPLS and the egress PE redistribute the prefixes into the routing protocol used between itself and the CE router on the other site.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Alain

My scenario was just there as a hypothetical one when customer wants totally secure connections and does not want to go over internet and is taking mpls vpn as transport for the ipsec vpn ..

Hi Lek

It again depends upon the need of customer that what is his utmost goal. If its just reachability between two sites OSPF alone is fine, BGP not needed at all.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards

Varma

Hi Alain n Varma

Thank u very much for ur responses.

Lek

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card