cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP

jsheriony
Level 1
Level 1

do you need to have a default gateway to point your traffic to point when you are using BGP?

thanks

3 Replies 3

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

HI,

It depends upon many things:

> If you are enterprise customer of Service provider and running BGP between your router and provider then provider will pump default route towards you

> If you are running static routing with provider then you need to install static default from your router to provider. Or if you are having switch

at your end then alos you install default-gateway towards your provider.

Hope this is helpful

Regards

Mahesh

i am actualy having a confusion that's why I asked.

we were give a pair of 30 bit address, 1 hsrp address, and 2 address for our LAN port and we are going to use bgp per the provider.

my assumption was at pur side, we dont have to set a target address over the WAN to point our traffic since we will be using bgp

In terms of what is required, your network should work without specifying a default gateway as long as you are running BGP with the provider. The provider should advertise a default route to you and that will allow you to forward outbound traffic.

You might want to think about whether you want to configure a default gateway anyway, and consider it as a backup. As long as BGP is running you should have a default route from the provider. But what if something happens and BGP is not advertising the default route? Would it aid in troubleshooting if you were able to forward some outbound traffic?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card