Views
Helpful
Replies

block ping in the same network via router

taimoor khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

I would like to block ping in the same network, we have Guest Network 10.x.x.x/24 and we dont want them to contact each other computers. We dont have FW and only can use Routers. Could some one tell me how do I do that, should I use ACL and how ? or do we need route map and how ?.

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks

12 Replies 12

jubair151
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can try with mac access list. find the format as below.

Extended MAC access list test
    deny   any any vines-echo

This will block on ARP, I want to block full connectivity between the USERs in the same network.

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

If your switch supports it I'd use PVLANs.

That is the best solution...

my switch doesn't support PVLAN

The problem is none of the traffic between devices on the same VLAN will traverse the router. Since they are on the same VLAN / IP Subnet all traffic will stay on the switch.

The only thing i can think off now is to configure router on a stick with multiple /30 sub interfaces on the router interface connecting to the switch. With a /30 you can have 2 host per network, one for the guest device and one for its default gateway aka the router sub interface. You'd then use an ACL to prevent each /30 from talking to each other.

/30 subnet solution means TONS of lines in the router. Can I do it via route-map or route-policy ?

Are you asking if you can use policy routing instead of /30's? If so the answer is no. Per my previous comment the traffic isn't even going to hit the router if all devices use a /24

PVLAN is the right solution. Unfortunately you can't do this. Whatever solution you come up with won't be pretty/optimal.

I found a switch that has private vlan option, now here is the design

Router --- connect to Switch1 --connect to Switch2 --connect to AP

I am going to configure switch 2 port that connected to AP as isolated so should work I believe. 

cisco.met.co.uk
Level 1
Level 1

Have you looked into this functionality on the wireless AP?

If you use Aironet then:-

Aironet autonomous APs can use bridge-group bridge-group port-protected to block peer to peer traffic

Aironet controller AP can use P2P blocking on the controller

Command doesn't work in my AP

AP model = 3600i

It should according to the Aironet documentation.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/15_2_4_JB/configuration/guide/scg15_2_4_JB3a.pdf

bridge-group "bridge group number" port-protected

Chapter 6 page 30 describes the syntax for Public Secure Packet Forwarding (PSPF) it also covers protected ports on switches using multiple AP's

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card