Views
Helpful
Replies

Blocking SSH connection from outside WAN on my router

kkragelund
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all from Denmark :)

I want to block ssh on my wan port, so that no one can access my router from the outside.

Everybody says that make an access-list and apply on the vty lines. But i think i found a good way to block it without making access-list in the vty line.

I did

ip access-list extended DENIED_SSH_ACCESS
 deny   tcp any host MY_INTERNAL_IP eq 22
 permit ip any any

And then apply it, on my wan interface

interface fastethernet 4

ip access-group DENIED_SSH_ACCESS in

If i use my port scanner. Port 22 wont show as open wich i think its good think to protect my network. But if i make a access-list in the vty lines allowing only my local network to access and deny everything else, my port scanner vill show port 22 as open. I have used my 4g internet connection from my iphone to test this and it works.

Is there any problem using my methode, instead of using access-list in the vty lines?

Hope you understand my question, my writing skills in english sucks abit and i am training for my CCNA routing and switching certification ! :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Your writing skill is very good and your question is clear.  You have taken the correct approach by applying the access-list to the link that connects to your provider (your WAN link), so no one can access your network from outside.  It is probably a good idea to block telnet as well

deny   tcp any host MY_INTERNAL_IP eq 23

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Your writing skill is very good and your question is clear.  You have taken the correct approach by applying the access-list to the link that connects to your provider (your WAN link), so no one can access your network from outside.  It is probably a good idea to block telnet as well

deny   tcp any host MY_INTERNAL_IP eq 23

HTH

Thank you for your reply Reza Sharifi ! :)

I was wondering if i should add some more roles to the acl, Like denying private addresses from accessing my wan interface?

Maybe you got som tips for wan acls? :)

Hi,

Yes, here is good link an how to protect yourself from the Internet.

http://www.team-cymru.org/ReadingRoom/Templates/secure-bgp-template.html

HTH

Hi, my friend

How you are not apply you access-list on the virtual interface?? like this for example:

interface vty 0 4

ip access-class xx in.

vmf76
Level 1
Level 1

I needed to get rid of brutforcing on my WAN and I applied this way:

IP access-list extended SSH-ACCESS
permit tcp host MY-SECOND-ISP-IP any eq 22

line vty 0 4

transport input ssh

access-class SSH-ACCESS in

So, I didn't apply anything on interface F4 and my problem is solved - only me from my second public IP can SSH.

Hello
Just like to add for completeness - You could also append a management plane policer to accomplish a similar thing by stating a specific internal/external interface for mgt access and allowing just the protocol you wish it to be used for?

conf t
control-plane host
management-interface x/x allow ?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card