cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BR352 and AP342 in RELAY (repeater) mode

w2jo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network covering a fairly wide area. the central node is a BR352 with BR352s and AP352s and AP342s operating as repeaters. All have 12.04 firmware. Normally all "home" on the central BR352 node. "Occasionally" the (one) AP352 repeater unit decides to "relay thru" one of the AP342 repeaters. When this happens, the AP352 cannot pass data and the AP342 logs an error message saying the AP352 logged in as encripted and then tried to pass UNencrypted data. I have optioned all BRs and APs in the system as "encryption optional" and other pairs have on rare occasion used the "repeat through a repeater mode" without a problem.

Does anyone know what setting i might me missing to cause this problem?

Thanks

Joe

2 Replies 2

Hello Joe,

is that problem occuring with all clients ? Which client cards are you using ?

Regards,

GP

Hello GP,

The topology is like this in the failure case:

AP352(rpt) >>>>> AP342(rpt) >>>>>>>BR352(root)

Normally the AP352 homes directly to the root.

When the problem happens, I can reach the AP342 from the root just fine, but cannot reach the AP352 and the 3 client there cannot pass data either. The association table shows the AP352 repeating through the AP342. When you try and go to the AP342 and do a link test, the test fails. The error message on the AP342 says something like: "AP352 logged in as encrypted and then tried to pass UNencripted packets." If I reboot the AP342 remotely, the AP352 homes back to the root and all is well until "next time". The 3 clients are all using Linksys WET11s on the AP352 node

Joe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card