Views
Helpful
Replies

BRI ISDN dial up with WIC-1B-S/T-V3

Web Tech
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am configuring a Cisco 2901 router with one BRI (WIC-1B-S/T-V3 module) and a PVDM3-16 daughter board to setup the ISDN link with a PBX (Alcatel-Lucent OmniPCX Office), for dial up data link.

Please, could anyone help me to find out if there's a HW limitation or if I should do something different?

The main question is: Can I change calls to use a bearer cap Speech or 3.1kHz and codec G.711 on this setup?

The PBX has a BRI interface (called BRA) that I managed to configure as network and the link is up between both equipment. The PBX has a PRI ISDN T2 connected to the PSTN, that will route the data calls originated by the 2901.

Router1 2901 w/ BRI -> PBX -> ISDN PSTN -> Router2

Apparently the PBX doesn't accept bearer capability as "unrestricted digital", because it returns a RELEASE_COMP right after the SETUP.

I've read that the WIC-1B-S/T-V3 is used for data calls and not voice, so it's maybe impossible to call as voice, but it seems to be the problem when calling, and I couldn't see another issue with the PBX T0 trace/debug or find a documentation about data over voice ISDN calls on the PBX documentation. I did call the PSTN with success using another PBX on the same PBX's BRI interface, but like I pointed before, using bearer cap as Speech. Also I've tried to follow this documentation to no avail: Configuring Data Over Voice (DoV) using isdn incoming-voice data and dialer voice-call (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/dial-access/integrated-services-digital-networks-isdn-channel-associated-signaling-cas/14964-8.html).

I tried to change the layer 1 codec to G.711 but it seems not possible, because there's no voice-port interface to do that, and adding voice-call to the dialer doesn't work either..

test call

Test calls originated using isdn test, which returns RELEASE_COMP from the PBX.

isdn test call interface bri 0/2/0 [public_number | internal_pbx_extension]

debug

ISDN BR0/2/0 Q931: Sending SETUP callref = 0x0091 callID = 0x80A3 switch = basic-qsig interface = User
ISDN BR0/2/0 Q931: TX -> SETUP pd = 8 callref = 0x0091
Bearer Capability i = 0x8890
Standard = CCITT
Transfer Capability = Unrestricted Digital
Transfer Mode = Circuit
Transfer Rate = 64 kbit/s
Channel ID i = 0xA98380
Exclusive, Channel 0
Called Party Number i = 0x80, '5400'
Plan:Unknown, Type:Unknown
ISDN BR0/2/0 Q931: RX <- RELEASE_COMP pd = 8 callref = 0x8091
Cause i = 0x81E4 - Invalid information element contents

The option "isdn sending-complete" didn't change the PBX response.

running config:

version 15.5

interface DialerB
description to NAME1
ip address 192.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.252
no ip redirects
no ip proxy-arp
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 34
ppp authentication chap
ppp chap hostname HOSTNAMEA
no keepalive
no cdp enable
!

interface BRI0/2/0
description ISDN
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool-member 34
isdn switch-type basic-qsig
isdn point-to-point-setup
no keepalive
ppp multilink
no cdp enable
!

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You cannot use a WIC 1B-S/T-V3 for voice traffic.

This is a "data only" interface.

For voice you need a VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You cannot use a WIC 1B-S/T-V3 for voice traffic.

This is a "data only" interface.

For voice you need a VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi Alex,

The WIC would be used for data. So I understand I couldn't transfer data as voice with it.

Do you know if I can use a VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE or a VIC-2BRI-S/T-TE for data over voice? Does the internal modem dials using a VIC as with a WIC?

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card