Views
Helpful
Replies

BSTUN Protocol for ISR4351

missengineer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everbody,

I have a problem about bstun protocol on ISR 4351 router. I have read previous topics that they said it does not support in 2017. Maybe this issue changes , maybe ios updated by Cisco and it supports now? I saw a comment on Cisco page that it is 4351 router and celluer interface contain bstun command. You can see screenshot at attachment.  Do you have idea or if it is not how I can solve this problem?  Which command can I use instead of bstun? Thank you

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is not clear where that document came from, what platform the output  is taken from, or what version of code it was running. I would not put much trust in an example from a document that a feature was actually supported on a current device running fairly current code. It is my understanding that Cisco has not supported BSTUN for a while. I am certainly not authoritative about this and if someone from Cisco who is authoritative would jump in it would be appreciated.

Perhaps you can tell us what you are trying to accomplish and how BSTUN fits into that?

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Sorry for late response and thank you for your reply. You are right ,it is not clear but I can share a link and you can analyze if you want. Other hand, I will share link and screenshot again from Cisco document. It says that this protocol is supported on 4000 series. 

In project, RTU and SCADA will connected over leased line and ports will be serial. So I need BSTUN protocol or alternative way. 

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvf67516/?rfs=iqvred

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/bridging/configuration/guide/15_0sy/br_15_0sy_book/br_stun_bstun.html

No problem about late response. For some reason I am not able to open the jpg of your post. So I am not sure what is there. In terms of the bug report output, it is interesting that bstun shows up as an option according to on line help. But I would not put much faith in the efficacy of that. We do not know what version of code was running on this machine. And most importantly the bug report says clearly that when you enter one of the options presented there was no error message but that IT DID NOT WORK.

The documentation that you reference is a good description of how to configure for bstun. But note that the last updated for this document was in 2011.

I wish that I had a better solution to suggest. But I do not believe that bstun is a realistic option for you. Perhaps someone else in the community can come up with something that I have not yet thought of.

HTH

Rick

Supermantech
Level 1
Level 1

passing serial data over a network that is sent clear text,  is that right?  i never heard of bstun.  can you use a ip -serial adapter?  unsure if that is encrypted either.  

Hi Supermantech,

YEs We used Ethernet-Serial converter to solve problem. Thank you. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card