cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Building a home lab - need advice please!

NetworkGoats
Level 1
Level 1

I am slowly acquiring a home lab of Cisco devices. I am currently studying for the CCENT, so Packet Tracer is working fine. But, I would like to have a few Cisco devices by the time I pass and start studying for the CCNA - Routing and Switching. I will use ebay. So far, I have only bought one device - a Cisco Catalyst 3550 Layer 3 Switch.

I am now looking for a router to buy. Outside of studying the Odom book, I watch Jeremy's CBTNugget videos. He recommends the Cisco 2621 XM router, because it is fairly cheap. Would this be a good router to get for a home lab? Will I need to get a WIC or module for it?

Also, what else would you recommend getting for a home lab? Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9
Hi, AFAIK, the 2600s (specifically 2621XM) don't support 15.0 IOS. To be safe either get a 1841, 2801 or 2811. These ISR routers support WIC modules if you want to expand your home lab and cross-connect Cisco routers. If you want wireless, you can get an 871w (also support 15.0 code) and it's fairly cheap in Ebay too.

Thank you. Does my 3550 switch support IOS 15? I'm still waiting for my serial to USB to gather that info and play around with it.

Hi, I don't think 3550 supports 15.0 IOS code. I know 3560 does. It's still a good L3 switch though and you might as well keep it for CCNP perhaps.

Thank you!

What is a good home lab to have? 2 switches and 1 router? Or more devices?

It greatly depends on your budget. I would advise 1 router and 1 switch to get familiar with CLI and expand your lab when performing complex lab scenarios. Personally, I would get an 1841 router and a 2960 switch to kick off my lab.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card