cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Building a WAN link in a lab

slim_bhris
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys, I wanted to create an equivalent of a leased line for my home lab using two serial cables a (DTE) cable and (DCE)

cable. I have two 1921 Cisco routers and realized they didn't come with serial WAN interface cards. I did some searching and

found that HWIC-1T cards are compatible with 1921 routers but before buying I want to verify if it really is. Also, will these serial

cards work to make a WAN link. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
When you say wan link do you mean between another rtr in a lab only environment if so then yes.

Note; If you are to have a physical lab using multiple serial connections then you'll need either an access server (like 2511) as the DCE server or a rtr with a lot of serial ports to act a an frame relay server however if the rtrs are to be connected back to back then suggest you purchase DC DTE back-back smart cabling.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @slim_bhris,

HWIC modules are compatible with your device and serve as a WAN link.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/ic/hardware/installation/guide/oview_ic.html#68486

Regards

Hello
When you say wan link do you mean between another rtr in a lab only environment if so then yes.

Note; If you are to have a physical lab using multiple serial connections then you'll need either an access server (like 2511) as the DCE server or a rtr with a lot of serial ports to act a an frame relay server however if the rtrs are to be connected back to back then suggest you purchase DC DTE back-back smart cabling.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card