Views
Helpful
Replies

C4500X 1Gbps SFP port issue

Victor To
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco C4500X SFP port issue

Getting no where to bring up the Te2/1/7 switchport with the Cisco 1Gbps SFP mini-GBIC (GLC-LH-SMD=) in the Cisco WS-C4500X-16.
---
Te2/1/7   ** Level3 P2P      notconnect   routed       full   auto 1000BaseLH
---

The port is setup as a simple routed port as below.
---
interface TenGigabitEthernet2/1/7
 description ** Level3 P2P
 no switchport
 ip address 10.4.0.2 255.255.255.252
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
end
---

It is a 1GB point-to-point E-LINE to data center A which is setup as 10.4.0.1 255.255.255.252 with UP/UP status.

Level3 tech tested the fiber signal all the way to the SMF cable with 100% good signal in data center B.  The SMF cable plugged into Te2/1/7.

Can someone tell me what am I missing???
6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Are you sure both ends are using the same kind of SFP, i. e. LH/SM and the patch cable are all SM?

Level3 handoff panel is a SM [SC/UPC].  The data center cross-connect is SC/LC-SMF and the handoff is SM [LC/UPC].  I have a LC/LC-SMF between [LC/UPC] to Cisco 1Gbps SFP mini-GBIC (GLC-LH-SMD=) in the C4500X-Te2/1/7.

[Level3]<---SC/SC-SMF--->[SC/UPC]xxxcross-connect-SMFxxx[LC/UPC]<---LC/LC-SMF--->[C4500X]

Level3 tech tested the signal and passed at 100% by plugging in LC/LC-SMF to the tester.

Victor, 

Did you try running a visible light and see if the light goes through-and-through?  I know you've done a Level 3 testing but do a lot of fibre optic testing too and I always use visible light to test the entire length from patch-cord-to-patch-cord.

Another thing, can you put both ends' configuration to default and see if the fibre links go up?

I don't have access to run the test, but the data center folks did their tests many times.  We change few different SMF patch cord, including a loaner SMF patch cord from the data center folks (they are sure their SMF is 100% working).

When you say both end's config to default, do you mean DC-A's and DC-B's end?  In DC-A's end, it is a Level3 SMF but cross-connect-converted-to-copper handoff as 1GB RJ45.

When you say both end's config to default, do you mean DC-A's and DC-B's end?

Both ends.  

Here's another test you can do, plug a known SFP-client to either end of the ports and see if the ports go up.  This test will determine if your SFP or your patch cord is faulty.  It will also determine if you've got a faulty SFP port.

I finally fixed the issue with Cisco TAC assistance.  Because of the different between DC-A (copper) and DC-B (fiber SMF), "speed nonegotiate" must be set on the interface at the fiber end because there is a media-converter at the other end on the cross-connect.

From other post, I heard connecting optical transceivers to non-Cisco gear (sometimes) require "speed nonegotiate" command. Otherwise link will not come up.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card