Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300 & C9400 HSRP

abx7777
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I would like to configure HSRP for one C9300 and one C9400 due to lack of company budget, so I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know if there is any problem.

Many thanks

3 Replies 3

Hello,

It would help if you have configured this and then report if you are experiencing problems. We don't know what we don't know. According to the documents it looks to be the same config and there doesn't appear to be any issues. I have attached said documents:

9300 - IP Addressing Services Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.11.x (Catalyst 9300 Switches) - Configuring HSRP [Support] - Cisco

9400 - IP Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.x (Catalyst 9400 Switches) - Configuring HSRP [Support] - Cisco

Make sure its the same HSRP version configured as well since different version use different Virtual MAC addresses. That could cause issues. Its better to hardcode the version (whichever one you want to use). Let us know if you run into issues from there.

Hope that helps

-David

In general, HSRP (same as the standard VRRP) can be run between different devices. You only should think about what happens when the active device moves from the more powerful device to the less powerful device. Probably not relevant in your scenario, but if the active gateway has a 10Gig uplink while the standby uplink only has a 1Gig uplink, you could run into problems after they switch the active role. And you have to make sure that both devices implement the same features, for example for security.

georgehewittuk1
Level 1
Level 1

I would also try to use the same/similar versions of IOS-XE code as possible between the hardware architectures. In theory you shouldn't have any problems with how the protocol works. If you do during testing try VRRP.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card