cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Camera without a gateway

dbronco
Level 1
Level 1

We recently received a camera for testing purposes that is very basic in nature. It was designed for a very limited and specific use case but I'm trying to figure out if I can expand this. In the camera setup, there is only an option to set an IP address - no mask or gateway. And, it requires a dedicated video client. The client and camera need to be on the same subnet since the camera doesn't have a gateway. It works on a single site where I have both camera and client on the same VLAN. 

What I'd like to do, or at least explore, is be able to view this camera from some of my other sites as well and I haven't been able to figure this out yet. Without a configurable gateway, is this possible? I 

I have Catalyst 9300s as my routers at most of my sites, with a few 3850s that are scheduled to be replaced. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Only run ip arp proxy under vlan SVI of camera'

This make camera can connect to any IP outside it subnet without config GW

MHM

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Only run ip arp proxy under vlan SVI of camera'

This make camera can connect to any IP outside it subnet without config GW

MHM

dbronco
Level 1
Level 1

I just found this based on your comment https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/dynamic-address-allocation-resolution/13718-5.html#:~:text=Proxy%20ARP%20is%20the%20technique,to%20the%20%22real%22%20destination

I think I understand what you're saying. So, if the camera is on VLAN 66 then I would run 

conf t

interface vlan 66

no ip proxy-arp

interface vlan 66
 ip proxy-arp <<- you need proxy not disable it since camera not have GW

MHM

dbronco
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the clarification. I was able to get this to work in my lab. I'm still having some problems with certain computers being able to access the camera but I'll keep working on that. I'll be trying this in my production environment today. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card