cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can 2 Routers running EIGRP connected to same switch?

cindylee27
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I would like to check if 2 Routers running same EIGRP statement can be connected to same switch? Will there be any routing loop and how can routing loop happens? (side question)

Thanks..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

yes u can connect 2 routers running eigrp on the same switch.

Regarding u r second question unless we know the topology of u r network we cant say anything.Well EIGRP is designed to be loop free.

Thanks

Mahmood

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

yes u can connect 2 routers running eigrp on the same switch.

Regarding u r second question unless we know the topology of u r network we cant say anything.Well EIGRP is designed to be loop free.

Thanks

Mahmood

Cindy

Each router would use one Ethernet (or FastEthernet etc) interface with an assigned IP address to connect to a switch port. Assuming that the 2 switch ports were access ports and in the same VLAN, and assuming that the IP addresses assigned were in the same subnet, then the routers would become EIGRP neighbors on this link. Devices in that VLAN on the switch could use these routers as their default gateway. And the routers could be configured to run HSRP to provide redundancy to the end stations.

I do not see anything in this that would cause any routing loop. It seems to be a very common situation where routers connect to a switch very frequently. Is there some aspect of your question that I have not considered?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your reply.. well, i have read somewhere about routing loop on routers but i believe u guys have address some issues on my concern..

Thanks again..:) post rated..

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card