cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I Multilink?

jerry.mcrae
Level 1
Level 1

My company ordered two t-1 to the Internet and I plan on multilinking them. When I received the confirmation each circuit had a different order number and public ip's. So my question is can I multilink these two circuits together even though they are two totally separate circuits?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jerry

The fact that they are two totally separate circuits does not necessarily tell us whether you can multilink them or not. The fact that each came with separate IP addresses indicates that the provider does not intend (at least at this point) to multilink them - and if the provider does not multilink them then you can not multilink them.

So what you really need to do is to talk to the provider. Tell them that you are interested in the possibility of multilink and ask if they can/will support multilink on these circuits. From your end multilink should be possible but you need to determine what happens at the provider end.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Jerry,

Yes, you can multilink the 2 T1's circuit provided they are coming from the same ISP. You should talk to your telco about this and they will confirm you whether it is possible at their end or not.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

Just to add a line to your answer, infact, the ISP MUST allow before we can do any Multilinking, as the MPPP is done at both the ends, and if the ISP doesn't want Multilinking, then I guess we are out of options.

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Hi Wilson,

Agree to your point. I know that we need to set it up on both the ends. That's why I have asked to check it first by the ISP. If they dont allow this, it canot be done.

-amit singh

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

One of the issue is, will the telco also terminate two circuits at the same router at their side. If yes, you can multilink them if they allowed. Therefore, check w/ the telco is the first step.

If multilink is not allowed, you may consider to load-sharing the links w/ equal cost load-sharing.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card