cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can ping from one side of the router but not the other.

gherkin12
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning all

First post so please be gentle :)

I've been out of the Cisco game for several years now and have just setup a homelab to brush up on my skills (potential job change).  Anyways to the problem.

My current setup is as follows:

Netgear C7500 (Cable Modem WiFi enabled) 192.168.0.1 --> 192.168.0.2 Cisco 2921 192.168.2.1--> Cisco 2811 --> Dell R710 192.168.2.3

The 2811 is effectively being used as a switch as currently I don't have any fibre connections for the fibre switch I have.  So basically I have the 2921 setup so that the Dell can connect to the outside world - no problems whatsoever.  The problem comes the other direction.  I cannot ping from the 192.168.0.x to the other side of the 2921 (192.168.2.1).  I don't believe there is anything I can do on the Netgear, so was wondering if there is anything I can do the Cisco side of things.

Current config is that I have NAT setup inside and outside on the g0/0 and g0/1 interfaces but if i turn NAT off the Netgear it appears to disable my WiFi and all my other devices drop off the .0.x network.

I know I could put the Cisco side on the same network range as the Netgear but was wanting something challenging t see if it could be done - although if it can't then I'll revert everything back.

TIA

22 Replies 22

Hello,

it sounds like the Netgear needs a route to the 192.168.2.0/24 network. Can you add a static route to the Netgear ?

Not that I can see.  That was my first thought in that the route is set from the cisco side but i've not done anything the netgear side - due to what seems limitations i was thinking that I could do something the cisco side, however I'm thinking that I probably can't.

not sure never tried Netgear static route

below link may help to add static route to resolve the issue :

https://kb.netgear.com/24322/How-do-I-set-or-edit-static-routes-on-a-NETGEAR-router

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Unfortuantly it seems that my Netgear doesn't have the ability to set static routes, thanks though for the suggestion :)

Hello
Bridge the cisco 2921 links so that the 2911 is on the same subnet as the dell negear (192.168.0.0/24) - see attached file

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

good morning Paul
Many thanks for that, just fired her up and just want to confirm the ip address for the virtual bridge. I've had a google of BV1 to understand what it does/mean, however I'm abit confused on the IP address that its using in the examples - its not so much the class of address they are using (i get that bit) but why that address.
For example the cisco explanation has two address 10.10.10.1/255.255.255.0 and 10.10.10.2/255.255.255.255 but for the bridge they use 10.10.10.10/255.255.255.0. why do they use that address?
For reference - Understanding Bridge Virtual Interface (BVI) and Bridge Domain Interface (BDI) 

So bit of an update Paul, I tried your suggestion using the address of 192.168.0.3 255 255.255.0 (as the BV1 address) and I can't ping that address from either side with the error being host unreachable.

Hello

@gherkin12 wrote:
So bit of an update Paul, I tried your suggestion using the address of 192.168.0.3 255 255.255.0 (as the BV1 address) and I can't ping that address from either side with the error being host unreachable.

The Cisco 2921 should have the same ip address as before 192.168.0.2 but on the BVI (only required for mgt purposes), and then the c2811 would then have the interface that connects to c2921with a ip address in the same subnet 192.168.0.X with a default route towards the netgear rtr.

This is the medium that you should required to do.

C2911
conf t
bridge irb
bridge 1 protocol ieee

int x/x
facing netgear
no ip address
bridge-group 1

int x/x
facing c2811
no ip address
bridge-group 1

Please confirm this is correct, If possible attach the configuration of the C2921 rtr in a file and share

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Morning Paul, just got to drop the kids at summer camp and will give it a go when I get back. Many thanks :)

Hey Paul

Ive attached the config from the 2921 and the 2811.  out of curisotiy I can ping 192.168.0.1 from the 2811 but not the BVI address (192.168.0.2) - is that correct?

because the server I have is on 192.168.2.2 I'm presuming i would need to put that into a VLAN and have it connect to the 192.168.0.3 address (thats interface f0/0 coming from the 2921)

Try to understand the situation here, what is the purpose of the device you involving between(Cisco 2921 192.168.2.1--> Cisco 2811"

instead of making a bridge why not connect the end device directly bypassing the bridge device? or do I miss here to understand the requirement?

Netgear C7500 (Cable Modem WiFi enabled) 192.168.0.1 --> 192.168.0.2 Cisco 2921 192.168.2.1--> Cisco 2811 --> Dell R710 192.168.2.3

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

@balaji.bandi wrote:

instead of making a bridge why not connect the end device directly bypassing the bridge device? or do I miss here to understand the requirement?

@gherkin12 wrote:
I know I could put the Cisco side on the same network range as the Netgear but was wanting something challenging t see if it could be done - although if it can't then I'll revert everything back.

Hence the bridge recommendation?

Kind Regards
Paul

and when I say challenging it was more as reference for myself than trying to challenge the community :)

Hello

What you need to do now is remove the NAT and dhcp pools configuration from 2921 as now is is just bridging.

In-fact if you dont require nat if my understanding is correct as the netgear is performing this, However that unless you wish to add a lan subnet to the c2811 then nat /dhcp is required on the c2811.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco