Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping directly connected devices

I'm trying to configure a 2800 series router. I've done this a hundred times and just can't see what's wrong.

Here's the scenario:

I'm consoled in and put a basic config on the router (see attached). After putting this basic config on, I

plugged it into a small unmanaged switch, changed my laptop's IP and plugged it in the switch also. I can't

ping the router from the laptop and vice versa. This is the second switch I've tried this with, so it must be

something I'm overlooking. The first switch, I installed at location, connected a cisco cable to it and a

local server, so i could remote in and finish configuration. In that scenario, I had plugged the switch into a

managed switch and had the same result as I'm getting now--can't ping IP addresses (can't ping the switch's

IP, not can it ping local IPs). I know this isn't a cable problem, nor a switch port issue. I've checked

those. I can ping the router IP from the router. I've also attached show version.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Since you're tagging the traffic, the unmanaged switch doesn't understand how to handle the tag and is probably dropping it. To test this, you could move the address that you have on one of the subinterfaces to the main interface of f0/0. For example, move 10.20.128.110 to fa0/0 and don't tag it. Then you should be able to ping it. Otherwise, get you a managed switch, create your vlans on it, and make this interface trunked and then your laptop a member of the vlan on an access port.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Since you're tagging the traffic, the unmanaged switch doesn't understand how to handle the tag and is probably dropping it. To test this, you could move the address that you have on one of the subinterfaces to the main interface of f0/0. For example, move 10.20.128.110 to fa0/0 and don't tag it. Then you should be able to ping it. Otherwise, get you a managed switch, create your vlans on it, and make this interface trunked and then your laptop a member of the vlan on an access port.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Brilliant! Thought I was losing my mind....That did the trick, John. Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card