cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot login console due to loop (TACACS)

David Coelho
Level 1
Level 1

Configured a 2921 voice router. Put the TACACS config. Now I cannot log into the router because it cannot find the authentication server because I cannot no shut the port. It is just going through the authentication loop. It is not appearing to time out. How can I no shut the port so it can reach the server?

000675: *Aug 22 16:02:36: %SEC_LOGIN-4-LOGIN_FAILED: Login failed [user: ] [Source: UNKNOWN] [localport: 0] [Reason: Login Authentication Failed] at 16:02:36 EDT Fri Aug 22 2014CC

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael

This would be a pretty good suggestion only if you change it and substitute "console" where you say "telnet". The problem with the way that you have suggested is that when the router is hard reset any telnet session would hang, lose connectivity, and only can be re-established after the router has booted and is back on line with the current config. But I agree with you that some variation on password recovery would be the most likely solution.

To the original poster

You have not provided much detail about how the router is configured. If you have configured the router with SNMP such that some device in the network has read/write access then it may be possible to change the config/no shut the interface using SNMP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

michael.wing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you have your router config saved within a notepad file I would suggest a hard reset of the router while you have a telnet console session active to the device.

You can issue a break from you chosen telnet application (Putty, Teraterm ect..) to come out of the boot process and drop in to rommon.

From here you can change your device boot register to boot without using the saved configuration on the device flash, this will essentially allow you to boot the router as though it had just come out of the box.

From this point you can solve your problems, just don't forget to change the boot register back to its original settings. I'm not sure what the boot register value should be on a 2921, but generally the normal register value is 0x2102, to disable boot config from Flash you would change this value to 0x2142.

This is a common mistake when applying TACACS/ACL configuration, always remember if configuring a device that could potentially lock you out of the device, issue a delayed reload command to be safe!

I hope this helps and puts you on the right track :)

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

This would be a pretty good suggestion only if you change it and substitute "console" where you say "telnet". The problem with the way that you have suggested is that when the router is hard reset any telnet session would hang, lose connectivity, and only can be re-established after the router has booted and is back on line with the current config. But I agree with you that some variation on password recovery would be the most likely solution.

To the original poster

You have not provided much detail about how the router is configured. If you have configured the router with SNMP such that some device in the network has read/write access then it may be possible to change the config/no shut the interface using SNMP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

You sure are right!!! I don't know what i was thinking, i'll just put it down to it being very late at night when I wrote that post :)

Thanks for pointing out my error.

Michael

Michael

Do not be too hard on yourself. It was a good thought process and identified most of the elements of a successful solution. It just missed on one important point - and it was, after all, very late at night. :)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick,

Probably also worth adding on the reload command

Dev#reload in mm | hh:mm

exit telnet/ssh connection

restart telnet/ssh connection

Dev# reload cancel

dev#wr

Don't save new or updated config till after you have tested they work for remote access!

Example from my 1841.

Michael#reload ?
  /noverify  Don't verify file signature before reload.
  /verify    Verify file signature before reload.
  LINE       Reason for reload
  at         Reload at a specific time/date
  cancel     Cancel pending reload
  in         Reload after a time interval
  warm       Reload should be warm
  <cr>

Michael#reload in ?
Delay before reload (mmm or hhh:mm)

Michael#reload in 5

Worth mentioning, not the type of command you want to be issuing on a production network device, these types of bugs should be ironed out in the test lab before being implemented live.

Michael

Hello

Also checkout using cisco rollback which doesn't require scheduled reloads - the concept I guess is taken from the juniper iOS which allows applied configuration to be rollback to the previous functional configuration after a set time if the user hadn't confirmed the changes he made.

this feature in juniper is an excellent safety net for incorrect configuration messing up your day!

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/config-mgmt/configuration/xe-3s/asr1000/config-mgmt-xe-3s-asr1000-book/cm-config-rollback.html

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card