Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping server 1 from pc1 after setting default routes

I am working on an assignment and I am stuck. I connected 3 routers, 3 switches, 4 computers, and a server. I have created 2 vlans which router 2 and switch 2 use. I can ping between the computers and the internet but not server 3 which is connected to router 3. I am trying to ping server 1 from PC1 but receive a "timed out" response every time. The connections (serial DCE) are as follows: router 1 s0/1/0 is connected to router 2 s0/1/1, router 2 s0/1/0 is connected to router 3 s0/1/1, and router 3 s/0/1/0 is connected to router 1 s01/1. All of the serial connections are using a 255.244.244.252 subnet which allows for 2 hosts. I tried to set up a default route according to the instructions. For instance, router 1's s0/1/0 points to router 2 s0/1/1 at 0000.0000.0000.0000 0000.0000.0000.0000 172.16.68.2 and I thought I had done so correctly for the other two routers but I just receive the "timed out" error when pinging the server from any of the computers. I have to have the equipment set up the way it is, I cannot alter it in any way per the instructions. Could someone please take a look at the packet tracer file that I have uploaded (zip file)? Also, I have uploaded an image of the snippet of the instructions specifying how you are supposed to get packets to travel between all three routers. I have tried to follow the IP address pattern specified in the instructions and it still failed to ping the server. I received a "timed out" error. If I deviate from the pattern I end up receiving a "destination host unreachable" when trying to ping the server from PC1 (or any of the PCs).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

the reason you cannot ping the server is that the IP address of the server does not belong to the subnet of the default gateway. I have changed the server IP address to .93. I have also added a few more static routes. Attached the revised file.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

are the static routes a requirement ? You have three routers with dual connections, so setting up static routes is very tedious. Better use a dynamic routing protocol...

It is unfortunately a requirement of the assignment. I agree with you it is very tedious. 

Hello,

the reason you cannot ping the server is that the IP address of the server does not belong to the subnet of the default gateway. I have changed the server IP address to .93. I have also added a few more static routes. Attached the revised file.

Thank you, Thank you so much! I've lost sleep over this assignment, I guess I just needed an extra set of eyes.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card