cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot use RIPv2 with VLSM even with no auto-summary

aryspoty
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have an assignment where I have to route 3 routers that uses VLSM with RIPv2, ive assigned all the IPs needed to the pc and router, but I can't route with RIP

for example, when I try using RIP in router 2 and typed 198.66.66.160, it converted it to 198.66.66.0, so if I try adding another NA, for example 198.66.66.176, it wont add it.

I typing version 2 and

no auto-summary

to the router RIP CLI, but the same problem still occurs

Please check the file if I did anything wrong

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

turns out i actually got the connection in 'Router 2' switched, it is now fixed, thanks for the help

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

I can not open file but 

show ip route

check the subnet for each interface is it match the

network 

command mask or not ?

yes I've checked all 3 routers with

show ip route

and all of the interface have the correct network address

Hello

@MHM Cisco World wrote:

I can not open file but 

show ip route

check the subnet for each interface is it match the

network 

command mask or not ?

Wont be applicable in RIP by design

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

@paul driver is right, I run small lab, 
the route show classfull when I do show running 
but in other router when I do

show ip route

I see correct classless subnet. 

so @paul driver is totally right.

thanks.

the subnet mask for 198.66.66.160 is 255.255.255.248

here is the screenshot of

show ip route

aryspoty_0-1670848778737.png

Hello

@aryspoty wrote:
for example, when I try using RIP in router 2 and typed 198.66.66.160, it converted it to 198.66.66.0, so if I try adding another NA, for example 198.66.66.176, it wont add it.

RIPv2 with auto summarization turned off VSLM is supported so classless advertisement of networks is allowed, meaning the correct VLSM subnet will be advertised in the network, however both RIP version1/2 will always default to its classful subnet (A,B,C)within it routing stanza, which cannot be changed, so what you see is correct.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

oh okay, but for some reason, its unable to ping to external network block, actually, only 2 network block are connected and the others aren't, you can see which one is connected with this image

aryspoty_0-1670847973930.png

image.png

Hello
Looks like you DONT have overlapping subnets but you need to make sure, plus all rtrs running rip will also need to be running RIP2 with auto summarization disabled.

/26

/27

/29 

Kind Regards
Paul

check NA in all router, do you see it ?

turns out i actually got the connection in 'Router 2' switched, it is now fixed, thanks for the help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card