Helpful
Replies

Cant get packets to Internet after VLAN trunking config

EasyGoing1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

So I just inherited this network.

My goal is to get it configured with VLANs for various reasons. One of the main reasons is to isolate voice and data traffic and do some QOSing. All phones are Cisco branded / Linksys graduates :-)

Everything was working fine from what I recall, when I implemented the trunks between switches A and B and also between switches B and C. I think the problem started when I trunked in the router.

I can ping the the routers private interface (192.168.0.1) from anywhere on VLAN1 from any switch, but I cannot ping past the router to the Internet.  If I tear down all the configs, access to the Internet resumes without fail.

See attached graphics (PDF or PNG for your convenience) and

*** the configs can be found here ***

I welcome the solution of course, but I also welcome any criticism in the configs or improvement suggestions of any kind. I'm not married to these configs, I merely desire functionality.

Thank you very much,

Mike Sims
VLAN Routing To Internet Issue.png

Mike Sims
3 Replies 3

Hello,

at first glance I would change the below on SwitchA and SwitchB (SwitchC looks ok):

Disable ip routing on both switches:

--> no ip routing

Delete the default route:

--> no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1

Make sure both switches have the default gateway configured (this is optional and just necessary for management access):

ip default-gateway 192.168.0.1

Furose M
Level 3
Level 3

The config looks ok to me.

were you able to ping router's WAN ip address, 24.1.1.2?

did you see NAT translations happening when pinging internet?

Hello

I agree with Georg here -Your router is performing the inter-vlan routing so you don't need multiple SVI's on any of the switches other than a mgt SVI , So suggest you disable ip routing on the switch A&B and just apply a single MGT svi on all 3 switches

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card