Views
Helpful
Replies

Carrying vlan over point to point metro ethernet

vitel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a project and details are in the following.Please also find my drawing in attach

We have two locations that connect each other with point to point metro ethernet.

Metro ethernet switches is installed on each site by ISP. ISP allow to define only one tagged vlan for each site.

I have 3 vlan behind  metro ethernet switch on both sites.And I have to carry vlan to other site.
For example devices in vlan 40 on site A must be in same bridge domain with devices in vlan 40 on site B.

So I need to tag 3 vlan on trunk .But ISP dont allow secondary vlan id or more on trunk.

I think , I should use 802.1q tunneling.But Do ISP have to change any config as like MTU size( 1504byte)  on metro ethernet switches.

Or Are there any another way to perform it.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

We have a project and details are in the following.Please also find my drawing in attach

We have two locations that connect each other with point to point metro ethernet.

Metro ethernet switches is installed on each site by ISP. ISP allow to define only one tagged vlan for each site.

I have 3 vlan behind  metro ethernet switch on both sites.And I have to carry vlan to other site.
For example devices in vlan 40 on site A must be in same bridge domain with devices in vlan 40 on site B.

So I need to tag 3 vlan on trunk .But ISP dont allow secondary vlan id or more on trunk.

I think , I should use 802.1q tunneling.But Do ISP have to change any config as like MTU size( 1504byte)  on metro ethernet switches.

Or Are there any another way to perform it.

Thanks,

Hi,

Check out the below link for metro ethernet basics to carry multiple vlans over the WAN,genarlly concept in cisco calls 802.1Q-in-802.1Q,

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=101367

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card