Views
Helpful
Replies

cat6000 MSFC2 IOS boothelper corrupt !

avanderzanden
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I tried to make space on the MSFC2 bootflash by squeezing the bootflash after a delete of the boothelper image. The catalyst llocked up and now won't boot. Is there a way out?

The recommended cisco method does not seem to resolve it I get a software forced reload. indicating the bootflash that still holds the ios image is corrupt. ( version is 12.1.11b.E3 )

Anybody have an idea?

If I would be able to boot from sup-slot0: that would be nice but I guess that's no option??

Please advise

5 Replies 5

mhussein
Level 4
Level 4

No, the sloto: can only be accessed from the Switch processor . If I am ( I am using the hybrid catOS/IOS ) in the Route processor rommon you cannot access the slot0: Also the sup-slot0: did not provide me a good boot.

I am trying an Xmodem now, hope this will do the trick.. But why did Cisco not allow a copy from slot0: to the RP bootflash????

Slot0: cannot be accessed from rommon. The only way you can have the MSFC back up again is doing the xmodem of the boot image and then TFTPing the main Image back on the MSFC.

HTH,

AS

Are you sure TFTP will work from the NVRAM with only the boothelper image in there?

I succeeded the Xmodem so the boothelper then runs in RAM but then I fail on the step of:

router(boot)# download slot0: bootflash:

( also emergency-download gives the same result)

I get a [ %Download Failed ] message but no additional info so am lost where to search.

Can I Xmodem stuff the full IOS image to ram too? ( instead of the helper - that has more functionality I suppose)

Fixed !

the 12.1.11b.E3 boot helper did not allow TFTP but the newer 12.1.26 Did do the job

Really a shame the TFTP is not mentioned in the CCO help pages.

But thanks to all for guiding me,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card