cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500-e, slow Apple Server, in China

how2what4
Level 1
Level 1

We recently installed a Catalyst 6500-e core for our school's network. The VLAN service for the Apple servers is running super slow. It takes between 4 - 8 seconds to connect to our file servers and about everyone week we have to restart our Open Directory server. We just installed this replacing a older Catalyst 4500 moved over the same setting files but all is not well. We never had any of these issues before. We don't know what is causing the poor performance.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

25 Replies 25

No line errors.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Have you already checked whether there are no duplex mismatches along the path?

how2what4
Level 1
Level 1

more info on the case:

• Bonjour networking isn't working on any of the vlans.
  • It takes up to 12 seconds to access a Apple file server.
  • The core is going through CPU spike and dips

I'm the client representing Nanjing International School and not the service provider. I have basic knowledge but am trying to get this case solved with the tools on this site, I'm working through the vendor with the next goal of creating a TAC case number.

Wish me luck

• Bonjour networking isn't working on any of the vlans.
  • It takes up to 12 seconds to access a Apple file server.
  • The core is going through CPU spike and dips

If there was a problem with the network, EVERYTHING in that same VLAN would have an issue.

I would be concentrating on the server itself because I have a strange feeling something is going horribly wrong with the Apple server.

how2what4
Level 1
Level 1

More info:

• the slower server access has this issues with three Apple servers on this vlan
  • There was no issue with slow access before upgrading from a Cataylst 4500
  • All our vlan have issues with Bonjour

Also thought Spanning Tree and Macs don't mix, as shown in this support articule from Apple

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA25258  Would the solution be turning off spanning tree?

Also thought Spanning Tree and Macs don't mix, as shown in this support articule from Apple

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA25258  Would the solution be turning off spanning tree?

I have my Apple servers with "portfast" enabled.  I even have them in Etherchannel.

I think the vendor did the "portfast" enabled task last night, what's the best way to confirm that this has been done?

Run the command "sh spanning-tree interface Gig 9/16 detail".

this is the end result of that command:

Portfast is enabled.

Have you tried to reboot the Apple server?

I checked out our logs and the file servers have been rebooted

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card