Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 8200 throughput

HusseinLTD
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

we have ISR4321 and planning to upgrade to a router that support 500 Mbps throughput.

I know in ISR4000 series there's a throughput license can be purchased to allow more bandwidth, but not sure about the new routers (Catalyst 4200)

I checked the configuration in CCW but all I found is the DNA options, not sure if that's for throughput, also it's confusing with the 2 options (Cloud & on-prem).

any idea? I just need newer router that support 500 Mbps.

7 Replies 7

Table 3b appears to be what you want to know, in @balaji.bandi's reference.

Unfortunately, I see we're back to performance quotes for almost maximum sized Ethernet packets without mention of services.  Traditionally, adding services and/or reducing packet sizes drops throughput on ISR, sometimes by a LOT.  For example, your 4321 has two "guaranteed" performance tiers, 50 or 100 Mbps, but a boost license only notes "up to".  I couldn't find the "up to" value for the 4321, but from looking at other detailed performance tests, for IMIX traffic, it looks like total boost license throughput would range from about 150 Mbps to 1 Gbps, depending on router configuration.

The problem with the 8200 throughput spec it reminds me of "best case" rather than "average or worst case".

As the 8200 lists "up to" (danger Will Robinson) 3.8 Gbps, you could probably count on about one tenth of that but possibly more.

The 500 Mbps you mention, is that total, overall aggregate bandwidth, or for a half gig duplex link?  For the latter, you would need 1 Gbps throughput.

thanks, but what's the difference between Cloud & On-prem (See attached)

do I need DNA server for this?

I don't have DNA server and don't want one, we just want minimum 500 Mbps

attachment here

If you do not have DNAC - then you do not need that Liecnses personally

You need Network advantage License with IPSEC Licence should work :

check the installation guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/cloud_edge/c8300/software_config/cat8300swcfg-xe-17-book/m-available-licenses.html

FAQ :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/catalyst-8200-series-edge-platforms/catalyst-8200-series-edge-platforms-faq.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

"thanks, but what's the difference between Cloud & On-prem (See attached)"

I assume on-prem means using the router locally, as we have traditionally used them in the past.

"do I need DNA server for this?"

Not 100% sure - I'm not current on licensing, but the C8200 might require a subscription license.

"I don't have DNA server and don't want one, we just want minimum 500 Mbps"

I believe (???) the DNA server is Cisco's, i.e. the device "phone home" to validate and enable your subscription.

Interestingly, from you attachment, there are 3 performance tiers, which you are supposed to select one that handles your WAN bandwidth, but in the FAQ (???) mention was made unlike the 4K ISRs, throughput isn't limited.

Again, I'm not current on licensing.

Your original question was about performance, and it seems a C8000 might be able to support your 500 Mbps.

You might want to post a new question about licensing for these devices.

HusseinLTD
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I'm trying to get Cisco Catalyst 8200 that can support internet bandwidth at least 500 Mbps, looking at the datasheet it doesn't explain much, but on CCW I can find options under (Cisco DNA) see attached screenshot.

if that's the write option to add support for higher speed, what's the difference between Cloud and on-prem?

Do I need DNA server to be able to get these licenses? can't we get the router to support higher bandwidth without DNA server?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card