Views
Helpful
Replies

CFC & DFC3C Line cards mixed into a VSS system

Gurjinder Judge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I understand that both CFC and DFC3C cards are comptable with line cards in a VSS system. However, I would like to know whether it is possible to have a mix of these CFC & DFC3C line cards within a VSS system. e,g 2 CFC line cards and 2 DFC3C cards. If it is possible what are the potential shortcomings? Will the line cards perform at the lowest common denominator in the VSS system- so at CFC?

Please help!!

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The CFC has no local DFC (no local switching is performed and the module will use the PFC for switching) so the lowest common denominator does not apply here.

If you were to have a DFC3B, then you won't get VSS Support as it demands DFC3C on modules supporting local switching.

Regards,

Edison

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The CFC has no local DFC (no local switching is performed and the module will use the PFC for switching) so the lowest common denominator does not apply here.

If you were to have a DFC3B, then you won't get VSS Support as it demands DFC3C on modules supporting local switching.

Regards,

Edison

Thanks Edison for your reply

Does this mean that both DFC3C and CFC line cards can be used within a common VSS system without effecting each other?

Is there any documentation that supports this?

Regards,

Gurjinder

That I understand, but can both be used in 1 chassis that forms part of a VSS and if so, is there any supporting documentation?

Thanks,

Gurjinder

Didn't the link I provided explained that?

Here is another link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1053927

PFC, DFC, and CFC Requirements

The VSS supports any 67xx series switching module with CFC hardware.

The VSS supports DFC3C or DFC3CXL hardware and does not support DFC3A/3B/3BXL hardware.

If any switching module in the VSS is provisioned with DFC3C, the whole  VSS must operate in PFC3C mode. If a 67xx series switching module with a  DFC3A/3B/3BXL is inserted in the chassis of a VSS, the module will  remain unpowered, because VSS supports only DFC3C and DFC3CXL.

If the supervisor engines are provisioned with PFC3C, the VSS will  automatically operate in 3C mode, even if some of the modules are 3CXL.  However, if the supervisor engines are provisioned with PFC3CXL, but  some of the modules are 3C, you need to configure the VSS to operate in  3C mode. The platform hardware vsl pfc mode pfc3c configuration command sets the system to operate in 3C mode after the next restart. See the "SSO Dependencies" section for further details about this command.

Please remember to rate helpful posts

I've already seen this. I want to know if BOTH can be used in the same chasis as part of VSS:

So in one of the 6500 chassis in the VSS can I use:

1 line card with CFC

1 line card with DFC3C

without any issues...?

I said YES multiple times so does the documentation!

Many thanks for your help

Glad to be of help.

Please remember to rate helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card