cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CGR GRWIC 8A Async - connect directly to Hyper Term

mike prescher
Level 1
Level 1

I have need to test async communications through a pair of CGR 2010's....

PC1---->||CGR1 Async port 0||---->||CGR1 Ethernet port||>------||Metro E||------------<||CGR2 Ethernet port||<------||CGR2 Async port 0||<------PC2

This emulates some particular serial-talking-only devices at either end that want to communicate with eachother. I've done stuff like this before but with modems attached to the PC's. I got this far on some other advice but still no joy:

Serial0/3/0
physical-layer async
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
no keepalive
ignore rts
ignore dtr

Anybody ever done something like this with tips on what's required/possible or a doc you can point me to?

Thanks,

m.

1 Reply 1

mike prescher
Level 1
Level 1

This question was in pursuit of resolving some early proof of concept testing within a Smart Grid utility network. It was investigating how to transport bi-directional serial traffic between two devices across a Cisco routed infrastructure. 

ANSWERS ARE:

a) Serial > TCP Raw Streaming is one solution there is some write ups on but it doesn’t work for bi-directionally because of varying serial communication line state changes that must be managed – can even be end-device dependent.

b) ‘Generic BSTUN’ is what Cisco is recommending for this case.  However, this is a Cisco proprietary protocol and as such, won’t solve all connectivity requirements within mixed-vendor network.

c) Purpose-built serial>TCP/IP translators or data-gateway solutions exist to otherwise solve this issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card