cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Chain Gateways on the LAN

black2night
Level 1
Level 1

I installed m0n0wall in a virtualized environment, i have 10 PCs connected to a router ( 192.168.1.0/24) which connect them to the internet through PPPoE, the problem is that this router does not have a QoS so what i want to do is the following :-

1. let all the PCs get their IP from the Router and the default gateway will be m0n0wall
  2. the moon wall will have 2 interface (Lan 192.168.1.20) and (Wan 192.168.1.21 and default gateway 192.168.1.1)
  3. now when any PC want to access the internet it should go through m0n0wall and then m0n0wall will forward the connection to the default gateway through the wan interface which is the PPPoE running on the router (192.168.1.1)

the big question is this scenario possible or not and what do you suggest? Thanks

2 Replies 2

ciscoamit_497
Level 1
Level 1

Yes it will work 100%...but in this case u need a switch that can hold all ur pc connection even u can use the unmanaged switch...

They way designed is not bad all local traffic will go to the firewall first then to router and then internet...

Wat u need in this case..if your subnet is 192.168.1.0/24 for whole ur lan then it wont create any problem but if you are using different subnets for ur lan then you should tweak it by using static routing...otherwise it is as simple as good.

Thanks.

Amit

*********Please rate helpful posts**********

i tried this setup on a virtual machine which had two NIC both bridged to the same sub net as the rest of the PCs and configured one of the PCs  with the default gateway of virtual machine but it did not work, and i don't understand why i'm not a networking wiz or anything but i need to know theoratically if this setup from a network prespective is possible. and why do i need a switch. thanks Amit

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card