Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1751 Router Behind ADSL Router

Marwan Urabi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

it's possible to use the Cisco 1751 router without any add WIC , just use the build in Ethernet port behind Linksys or other ADSL router given from ISP,

and configure the Cisco 1751 to make and handiling the VPN traffic ?

if yes , how can I configure the Ethernet0/0 port ?

Best Regards

Marwan Urabi

9 Replies 9

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

if the 1751 is the VPN gateway then it must have a public IP then you should set the ADSL router/modem  in bridge mode( that is to disable the router part) and use your 1751 as the router with the ADSL PPPoe on the ethernet interface connected to modem/router.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

ok, what about use the Cisco 1751 without addithinal WIC , only 1 bulit in FastEthernet0/0 , i have small Cisco switch 2940 8 port ?

it's not easy to find the WIC for this model in our country.

Regards

Marwan

Hi,

that's what I was talking about previously and there are a lot of PPPoE configurations on an ethernet interface here in this forum.

Regards

Alain

Hi,

I can make PPPoE configurations and it's work perfictly , I make the config on other 1751 router but with 1ENET wic or 4ESW wic , but on this router i have one FE , so i coneected it to ADSL moden , but no one more WIC (ADSL or ENET or 4ESW ) to connect the router to local LAN , it's possible to connect the ADSL modem and Router to Cisco Switch and make the PPPoE ?

Best Regards

Marwan

Hi,

connect fastethernet to modem/router( in bridge mode) and do PPPoE on this fastethernet interface and connect the 4ESW interface to a switch if you need to connect more than 4 users in your LAN.

Regards

Alain

Alain. PM sent. 

Any help pls .

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi,

Thank you Mr Alain.

Sorry but there is no any WIC on the router if i have 4ESW the problem will solved , I ask if can connect the Modem and Router to Cisco switch and make sub interface on router to config LAN and WAN on the same FE with deferant VLAN ,

sorry for my bad english , but i hope it's clear what I mean .

Best Regards

Marwan

Hi Marwan,

if you're thinking of configuring two sub-interface out of a single ethernet interface and then binding them to two different vlans, configuring one of these as PPPoE, i don't think that is a support design but you should try it out. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

int e0/0.1

switchport access vlan 1

int e0/0.2

switchport access vlan 2

int vlan 2

pppoe-client dialer pool-member 1

int dialer 1

ip add <>

encap ppp

dialer pool 1

dialer-group 1

ppp chap hostname <>

ppp chap pass<>

or if you have PAP authentication then instead of CHAP commands above, put ppp pap sent-username <> pass <>

exi

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

or you can have the modem terminate the PPP connection and use vlan 2 as a normal vlan interface to get an ip from the modem.

Regards,

Subeh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card