cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1751 router stuck in rommon

AgentTyler
Level 1
Level 1

I do not have a cross over cable and have to use xmodem. I set the baud rate to 115200 and I can see everything fine. Using Tera Term when you send the file via xmodem it freezes and closes on packet #3 or about 384 bits. When simply clicking the send file button you get the error- 

*** Reserved LVL 7 Interrupt ***

PC = 0xfff0bc98, Vector = 0x500, SP = 0x80004c4c

Not sure what to do from here. I have tried everything.

Error you get when you boot the router:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(1r)XE1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ibld/view.pl?i=support

Copyright (c) 2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C1700 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

loadprog: bad file magic number:      0x0

boot: cannot load "flash:"

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” – IBM M
20 Replies 20

How do I format it in rommon mode?

rommon1>format flash:

That command does not work.

also I did get tftp to work ( was an issue with static ip and windows firewall)

But I am getting some insane errors, see if you can make sense of it. It is with memory but that does not make sense as the ios's are some of the small ones i am attempting to use.

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” – IBM M

Insufficient Memory to load image.

Try a different IOS.  Possibly in the 12.3 range.

AgentTyler
Level 1
Level 1

Ok I tried using the smallest ios possible for this router and it still says the following.. There was an ios on this router at one point in time so something has to work..

Ok I tried using the smallest ios possible for this router and it still says the following..

It's not the size of the IOS file (flash).  It's the size of the required memory for the DRAM.  As I've posted previous to this, try a different IOS version in the 12.3 or even 12.2 range.

Alright I understand, I ordered a 128mb ram stick for the router. Thanks for the help guys, Ill keep you posted once the ram comes in.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card