Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 Configuration

Amal_Joseph
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm complete a newbie to networking. So kindly forgive me if the question is ridiculous.

I have an 1841 router where I have configured

FastEthernet0/0 IP address 172.16.4.1 255.255.252.0

FastEthernet1/0 IP address 10.10.0.1 255.255.252.0

The question is both ports are connected to different PC with relative IP addresses. I'm able to ping and connect between two PC. but while I'm checking in the networking devices I'm not able to see the other PC. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

There is no switch between router and PC. Both are directly connected to the router.

Also, I want to allow all traffic between 2 PC. I have tried checking open ports and all I'm getting is Port no 23 is open. Should I do any more configurations to allow all kinds of traffic between both PC?

If you need any more inputs from the Router side kindly let me know.

Thanks and Regards

Amal

5 Replies 5

ammahend
VIP
VIP

"When I'm checking in the networking devices I'm not able to see the other PC", do you mean on router you are not able to see PC Mac address ?

"show ip arp" command will show you both PC IP, their corresponding MAC address and which port they are connected to, ping between PCs before running this command.

-hope this helps-

Abuhood Imran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Amal,

Looks like to be some typo or basic configuration related mistake.

Verify the IP is in the same range as router (Gateway) with same Subnet mask.

Try to ping Gateways from each PCs first, once through, try trace from the PCs (command prompt 'tracert -d x.x.xx').

Are you learning PC are on router interfaces? Try 'sh mac-address-table' on the router.

Hello
give each pc a default- gateway of its related connection to the rtr and turn off any software firewall on the pcs and test again 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I am focusing on this statement in the original post " I'm able to ping and connect between two PC." and this sounds like good news. It suggests that both PCs have IP connectivity and the router configuration is ok. I am a bit puzzled by the statement "but while I'm checking in the networking devices I'm not able to see the other PC". This suggests that it is one PC looking for the other PC and not the router looking for them. Is this correct? If so then what are you looking for on the PC? If you are looking in the arp table then it is normal behavior that one PC would not see the other PC. arp only shows devices in the local subnet (and the other PC is in a remote subnet). Is it looking in Windows networking? Again Windows networking is looking for devices in the local subnet. Can you clarify what you are looking for?

HTH

Rick

You are right.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card