Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1941 with IP Base License

Hi,

I currently purchased, Cisco 1941/K9 with 2 onboard GE, 2 EHWIC slots, 1 ISM slot, 256MB CF default, 512MB DRAM default, IP Base.

Questions

1. With IP Base License, will I be able to run Frame Relay? I really need reference on what works and what doesn't between these different technology package licenses ? Actually frame relay is running on it right now, hope it doesn't suddenly stop after 60 days...

2. As I understand in order to run MPLS, I will need to upgrade to Data License "SL-19-DATA-K9".

Since, I already have a Cisco 1941 to upgrade it, I need to order a spare license / paper PAK?

3. Does the IP Base License support site to site IPSEC VPN or do I need to purchase a security license "SL-19-SEC-K9"

4. Can I have both security and data license activated on the same device ?

5. If I do activate security or data license will I be able to use the IP Base features at the same time?

6. If I purchase a new Cisco 1941 with Data or Security License do I need to purchase the IP Base License then upgrade the license?

7. Is the 1941 suited for voice application routing ?

Sorry for the lot of questions.. but the more I read the more confusing it becomes.

Hope some one can clarrify the items above.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Paul,

the reference document is the following for licensing on ISR G2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10616/white_paper_c11_556985.html#wp9000768

1) FR should be supported in IPBase license

from above document

>>Offers features found in IPBase IOS image on ISR  1800,2800 and 3800 + Flexible Netflow + IPV6 parity for IPV4 features  present in IPBase.

note X.25 is mentioned in the first table FR it isn't.

2) You need to purchase a PAK and you should be able to generate the DATA license SAL from the portal following the instructions (there are also other methods described in the document)

3)  you need SEC for IPSec VPN it means another PAK to buy

4) yes you can install all of the additional licenses in a single device

5) yes, they build on IP Base so you add features without removing any

6) no, the new device will be already with the correct licences from factory

>> On each shipped device IPBase software activation  key is installed by default. Additional keys are installed by  manufacturing depending on the customer order.

7) yes with the UC PAK

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Paul,

the reference document is the following for licensing on ISR G2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10616/white_paper_c11_556985.html#wp9000768

1) FR should be supported in IPBase license

from above document

>>Offers features found in IPBase IOS image on ISR  1800,2800 and 3800 + Flexible Netflow + IPV6 parity for IPV4 features  present in IPBase.

note X.25 is mentioned in the first table FR it isn't.

2) You need to purchase a PAK and you should be able to generate the DATA license SAL from the portal following the instructions (there are also other methods described in the document)

3)  you need SEC for IPSec VPN it means another PAK to buy

4) yes you can install all of the additional licenses in a single device

5) yes, they build on IP Base so you add features without removing any

6) no, the new device will be already with the correct licences from factory

>> On each shipped device IPBase software activation  key is installed by default. Additional keys are installed by  manufacturing depending on the customer order.

7) yes with the UC PAK

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks...

So If I ordered for Cisco 1941 would the item look like this

SKU:           Cisco 1941/K9

Description: Cisco 1941 with 2 onboard GE, 2 EHWIC slots, 1 ISM slot, 256MB CF default, 512MB DRAM default, IP Base

Plus (Both or either)

A. SL-19-DATA-K9      Data License for Cisco 1941 (Works with universalk9 image )

B. SL-19-SEC-K9        Security License for Cisco 1941(Works with universalk9 image)

For UC ---> As I understand its not supported on 1941 ?

Thank you very much for your response..

If you are buying a new 1941 and want a Sec licence it would probably work out cheaper for you to buy the hardware with this license preinstalled (SKU: CISCO1941-SEC/K9) rather than bolting the sec license on to an IP Base model. I don't believe this option is available for the data license.

Hello Paul,

you are right no UC license is available for the C1941 I should have checked this before posting

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10538/data_sheet_c78_556319.html

>> only available licenses are:

• IP Base: This technology package is available as default.

• Data

• Security (SEC) or Security with No Payload Encryption (SEC-NPE)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card