Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2801 Router expired?

NTAuthourity
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I have heard of, but never seen this type of error in person, and i hope that one or more of you have.

We found a old 2801 in the warehouse we just took over and the seller says he didnt need it, so we said hey a free router sweet:)

But it keeps going into rommon right off the bat even after confreg changes. and we get this error everytime we start it up.

*May  19 08:01:29.039: %HW-2-OBSOLETE_HW_VER: Module Version in 0/-1/-1 is obsolete
    *                       IMPORTANT !!!                               *
    * The module in bay/slot/sub_slot = 0/-1/-1 is obsolete and must    *
    * be returned via RMA to Cisco Manufacturing.  If it is a lab unit, *
    * it must be returned to Proto Services for upgrade.                *

We have tried 3 different ios versions to see if we could pass on it, but no luck. After that message it goes back into romon again.

Any ideas are greatly appericiated!

Thanks,

Stefan

14 Replies 14

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Stefan,

Do you have any module installed in this device?

Reza

Hey Reza thanks for the quick response no i do not have anything installed except a stick of 256 ram.

I have never seen this error message

Can you try a different CF card and see if you can load the IOS on it and boot it?

I Tried a 128mb sd card, and it accepted the image lets me boot it, but no change..ios version is: (C2801-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(3g)

when you say "lets me boot it" you mean to Rommon or the IOS completely boots fine?

You may have a bad CF card.  If you have spare router, you can put the CF in there, deleted the IOS, format the CF and then load a fresh IOS on it and put it in the router that you have problem with and see if boots.

It boots into rommon until i tell it to boot the ios below, but then gives that message and then back to rommon. sure i will try another 64mb in the 2821 i have here and see what i get.

Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(3g), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 06-Nov-06 03:00 by alnguyen
Image text-base: 0x600886DC, data-base: 0x62300000

Queued messages:
*Jan  8 09:01:19.087: %SYS-3-LOGGER_FLUSHING: System pausing to ensure console debugging output.

*Jan  8 09:01:19.035: %HW-2-OBSOLETE_HW_VER: Module Version in 0/-1/-1 is obsolete

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
PLD version 0x0f
GIO FPGA version 0x128
c1880 processor with 393216 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

Readonly ROMMON initialized
rommon 1 >

Hey, so i fully formatted the different CF card in the 2821 but same results after putting it back into the 2801:

Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(11)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Sat 18-Nov-06 17:56 by prod_rel_team
Image text-base: 0x6008FA68, data-base: 0x63600000

Queued messages:
*Jan  8 09:36:42.111: %SYS-3-LOGGER_FLUSHING: System pausing to ensure console debugging output.

*Jan  8 09:36:42.059: %HW-2-OBSOLETE_HW_VER: Module Version in 0/-1/-1 is obsolete

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
PLD version 0x0f
GIO FPGA version 0x128
c1880 processor with 393216 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

Readonly ROMMON initialized
rommon 1 >

That unit is very likely an engineering prototype that somehow ended in other people hands.

There is nothing you can do about, and personally I would not try to activate a support contract against its serial number.

Paolo's conclusion is correct, this is a prototype. The module reported by the error message is an internal component on the motherboard, which perform check routines on other modules installed. If the unit is under a valid contract it may be replaced with an RMA.

Probably you may be able to boot it up using an old image or an engineering one, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I'd be interesting to understand how your seller came in posses of this unit

dasiimwe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Stefan,

came across the same issue on a cisco 3825.

The error only appears when you load an IOS version > 12.3 For some reason the error doesnot appear when you load IOS version 12.3.

You can try upgrading the bootstrap image and see if that helps.

In my case I upgraded the bootstrap image to 12.4 and tried and IOS image 12.4 and still got the same error. I think its a bug but since the 3800 and 2800 are at EOL don't think cisco will come up with a fix for this.

In my case I upgraded the bootstrap image to 12.4 and tried and IOS image 12.4 and still got the same error. I think its a bug but since the 3800 and 2800 are at EOL don't think cisco will come up with a fix for this.

28xx and 38xx are NOT EOL.

I have explained the probable cause above.

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Stefan,

Sometimes the cookie value stored somewhere in the router's EEPROM/NVRAM/whatever gets corrupt, and it may account for dozens of obscure issues. Can you issue the cookie command in your ROMMON and post the result here?

So far, Paolo's explanation seems to be the most plausible but I want to give this additional possibility a try.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card