Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2811 Fan Noise

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi All,

I've observed some fan noise on our 2811 router. It's still running and in good condition.

My question is this 'normal' or will this device fail anytime soon? Is this good to go for RMA? TIA!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hardi Ahmed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

this noise also cause by dust accumulation on inside parts of the fan also the fan is facing drying. you can resolve this issue very simply.

first of all there is some commands you can apply it to check and too know about the status of the fans inside your router by using below commands.

Router_X # show  env all

Rouer_X # show env fan

Router_X # show env power

also you can find many more details accordingly.

and regaring the resolving noise fan : check your device warrenty maybe Cisco will help you.

should let me know if you need anything else.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hardi Ahmed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

this noise also cause by dust accumulation on inside parts of the fan also the fan is facing drying. you can resolve this issue very simply.

first of all there is some commands you can apply it to check and too know about the status of the fans inside your router by using below commands.

Router_X # show  env all

Rouer_X # show env fan

Router_X # show env power

also you can find many more details accordingly.

and regaring the resolving noise fan : check your device warrenty maybe Cisco will help you.

should let me know if you need anything else.

Hmm I'm allergic to dust. I'd probably open a case with TAC.

John,

Get a can of compressed air and "go to town".  If fine dusts accumulate along the edges of the blade, they will thicken and cause additional weight to the tiny bearing inside the fan assembly.

The compact dust along the edge of the blades "cut" the air and cause the swishing sound.  If the weight is too much for the bearing you can sometimes hear a faint grinding/whining sound.

Clean out the fine dust, do not be tempted to use oil.  Otherwise, contact Cisco TAC.

Thanks pre! Will probably ask one of our tech guys to clean up the chassis. The router's been there for quite a while and I'm guessing could be the dust on its fan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card