Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2851 Enhanced EtherSwitch Service Modules Configuration

andrejkanajev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have Cisco 2851 and Enhanced EtherSwitch Service Modules - 48 port (48 FE + 2 SFP NME-XD). I found configuration examle:http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/network-modules/82288-es-mod-config.html.

Configuration example says: need connect no switchport and create routing  between router and module.

Why need connect router with switch module with no switchport and create routing?

Can we connect router and module  with trunk ports ?

Andrej Kanajev

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The ip address is used like an mgmt. ip in the module , that's what the router uses to console into the module  , same as wireless ap module in 800 series , I don't think a trunk will work as it needs an ip to access it correctly

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The ip address is used like an mgmt. ip in the module , that's what the router uses to console into the module  , same as wireless ap module in 800 series , I don't think a trunk will work as it needs an ip to access it correctly

Hey, I have a 2851 router with a NME-XD-48ES-2S-P installed.  I have read that it's best to have the port that communicates with the router set to "no switch" with an IP address, but my setup only works with the port in "switchport trunk mode" to pass thru all traffic and distribute IP's.

My current setup is router as dhcp server with sub-interfaces on port gi1/0, which talks to switch on port gi1/0/4 set as switchport trunk to pass IP's and traffic for vlans on switch and it works but POE does not(it will not grant power to new devices) but when set as layer 3 on switch the POE works but I cannot get IP's to distribute properly and route.

How can i setup router as dhcp server to pass IP addresses and route traffic with port on switch set to "no switch" w/ IP address?  I have tried the to set IP address to vlans on switch side and setup IP routes to point to router's port gi1/0 and IP, and have set IP routes on router to point to switch port gi1/0/4.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, please and thank you in advance.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card