Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3845 OIR Hot swap

Hi All,

Just wondering if the 3845 supports OIR ( hot swap). I am looking at a link which says

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/3800/hardware/installation/guide/38netmod.html#wp1008236

#
Caution The   Cisco 3845 and 3845-NOVPN router supports OIR with similar modules   only. If you remove a network module, along with any installed WAN or   voice interface cards, install another module and card combination   exactly like it.

#
Caution Cisco  3800  series routers do not support OIR (hot swap) of interface cards   inserted directly into router slots. You must turn off the router  before  installing or removing an interface card.

....your advise would be appreciated as I need to plug in a HWIC-1GE-SFP into a production 3845.

Regards

Kishore

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kishore,

According to the link you provided, the 3845 does support OIR, but Cisco 3825 does not.

When in doubt, have a outage window, turn off the router, then install the module.

HTH

Reza

Hi reza,

Thanks for your reply . yea , well it says 3800 series doesnt support OIR and says 3845 supports OIR. Just an ambiguous statement.

Regards,

Kishore

Hi

The distinction is a little subtle I think.

3825 does not support OIR at all.

3845 supports OIR of NM (ntework modules) but not HWICs (referred to in the URLs above as interface cards)

A little confusing I agree.

Ian

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card