cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8300 Throughput

Adnan Razi Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi can anyone tell how to check Cisco 8300 series edge platform router hardware throughput verification command or any table for base license as well as booster.

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just a comment on Cisco's (current/recent?) performance licensing . . .

Wow!  I just looked into Catalyst 8300 performance licensing, and from its complexity, I can only guess Cisco will soon be offering a new certification track, in Cisco licensing, where the expert level will not only require understanding all the licensing variables, but have a lab requirement where you have a limited amount of time to create a Cisco purchase order for equipment needing specific performance requirements (by licensing).

Hi can anyone tell how to check Cisco 8300 series edge platform router hardware throughput verification command?

Hello @Sharon Whiteleather ,

read the following link

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/cloud_edge/c8300/software_config/cat8300swcfg-xe-17-book/m-available-licenses.html?dtid=osscdc000283#Cisco_Concept.dita_349da4fc-6654-4410-a938-5ac474662643

For physical platforms enter the show platform hardware throughput crypto command, in privileged EXEC mode.

For virtual platforms enter the show platform hardware throughput level command, in privileged EXEC mode.

However, the document reports a lot of other possible cases.

There are two types of troughput  numerical and tier based with the second one recommended starting from release 17.7.1a

the numerical or tier based are part of the DNA license names in the device.

So my guess is that a show license all allows you to find out this.

>> For example, DNA-C-10M-E-3Y is a license PID with a numeric throughput value of 10M, that is, 10 Mbps. 

>> For example, DNA-C-T0-E-3Y is a license PID with a tier-based throughput value of T0. The numeric equivalent it is mapped to is a throughput of up to 25 Mbps.

Starting with the lowest throughput level, the available tiers are Tier 0 (T0), Tier 1 (T1), Tier 2 (T2), Tier 3 (T3), Tier 4 (T4), and Tier 5 (T5). T2 and higher tiers require an HSECK9 license.

Note the following about tiers:

• Not all tiers are available with all Cisco DNA licenses.

For example, T3 and higher tiers are not available with the Network Essentials and DNA-Essentials licenses. This also means that if you have T3 as the configured throughput, you cannot change the boot level license to Network Essentials and DNA Essentials.

• Each tier maps to or means a different numeric value for different platforms.

The different platforms in the Cisco Catalyst 8000 Edge Platforms Family support different maximum throughput levels. For example, T2 means 1G throughput for C8300-2N2S-4T2X, 500M for C8200-1N-4T, and 250M for C8200L-1N-4T.

if your router uses tiers use the table 2 in the document

you can check by using show version what IOS XE version is running on the box.

Look at Table 2 in the link I have reported above

I agree with @Joseph W. Doherty , this is really complex to understand.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

BTW, very recently, on another posting that both @Giuseppe Larosa and I have been working, I was looking over a Cisco Live breakout presentation on the C1100 ISRs, trying to ascertain their actual performance capabilities.

Within the presentation was a page on "Bandwidth Metering", which if I understand it, is another variation of bandwidth tiers of performance licensing, then explains how the license restrictions are applied to all the "WAN circuits" aggregate bandwidth, in and out.  I think (?) it does not apply to the onboard L2 switch ports.

Unfortunately, for me, at least, these many variations are still confusing.  (Ah, in the "good old days", laugh, we only had to worry whether the device, physically, had the performance capacity we needed.  [That, though, in its own way, wasn't always easy to figure out.])

My original reply was half in jest, but only half. 

I glad to see Giuseppe actually posted useful information, as I didn't expect my jesting reply would be the only reply for months.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card