Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 871k9 - WAN speed

linuxtik
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning everyone,

I'm having problems with the speed of a cisco 871.
Currently I have an HFC line of the ISP of 100Mb / 10Mb.
Previously I used a small hex from the mikrotik brand and was able to handle 100/10 with a CPU load at 15%, firewall, nat, QoS, ect ...
We have changed the small hex for a Cisco 871, but it is not capable of moving more than 50Mb / 5Mb with an 80% CPU, it only does nat.
I do not understand why it is not able to move more bandwidth, any suggestions?

Regards.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Because you've hit the capacity limitation of the 871. As it's documented as a 25 Kpps (12.8 Mbps) device (min Ethernet packet sizes), you're doing well to obtain 50/5 Mbps.

Cisco, in a performance whitepaper, recommends the same 25 Kpps capacity 860 series for only a 4 Mbps WAN circuit. (That whitepaper also documents the max performance of an 860 series as 197 Mbps, with 1500 byte packets.)

View solution in original post

Can it be used? Sure. Will it support 240 aggregate bandwidth? Often not.

For multi 100 Mbps, normally you would look at 39xx ISR series, or low end 4K ISR series.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Because you've hit the capacity limitation of the 871. As it's documented as a 25 Kpps (12.8 Mbps) device (min Ethernet packet sizes), you're doing well to obtain 50/5 Mbps.

Cisco, in a performance whitepaper, recommends the same 25 Kpps capacity 860 series for only a 4 Mbps WAN circuit. (That whitepaper also documents the max performance of an 860 series as 197 Mbps, with 1500 byte packets.)

ohhh terrible, are you telling me that router worth 10 times less, $ 59 can with 120mb / 120mb without using just 15% cpu? and a cisco brand team is not able to move almost 50Mb because the CPU is set at 95%, it is terrible. thank you very much.

Yep.

Typically, from a pure performance stand point, you get less per $ then you do from other vendors. What you're paying for is features, especially compared to inexpensive platforms.

Hello, 

I just bought a cisco 867-VAE/K9, this model could with the 120/120Mb no?

I hope to receive it in 2 weeks.

Regards.

Can it be used? Sure. Will it support 240 aggregate bandwidth? Often not.

For multi 100 Mbps, normally you would look at 39xx ISR series, or low end 4K ISR series.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card