cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 887VA-W Access Point booting loop cannot break to Rommon

tech_king
Level 1
Level 1

Guys i just got a 887vaw  and was updating the image on the access point AP802.  When i rebooted the AP it began loading fine then it crashed and began a booting cycle. Im unable to reach rommon mode. Is there anyway i can get into rommon and load the original image?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The IOS of the AP could be corrupt.  

What kind of IOS image is the AP trying to boot?  Autonomous or Controller-based?  

Let's presume that it is booting autonomous IOS, the only way to fix this is to for the AP to boot in controller-based IOS and force the AP to download the autonomous IOS (and delete the old IOS image).  

To force the AP to boot into controller-base IOS, the command on the router is: 

config t
 service-module wlan-ap0 bootimage unified 
 service-module wlan-ap 0 reload
end

This will cause the AP to boot into controller-based IOS (default password is Cisco/Cisco).  

Once the AP boots into controller-based IOS do this:  

enable 

NOTE:  Username/Password is Cisco/Cisco

config t
int f0
 ip address <IP Address> <Subnet>
 no shutdown
end

archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://<TFTP IP address>/IOS_filename.tar

I believe I downloaded the Lightweight version but when the AP is booting up it says that its changing the ios to a autonomous version. It seems like the ios is indeed corrupt because it says that the verification check failed. the "service-module wlan-ap0 bootimage unified" command is not available. Do you know how i can fix this?

the "service-module wlan-ap0 bootimage unified" command is not available.

This command should be run on the router.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card