cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 897VAG-LTE series router, can it be setup on FTTP NBN?

VULCA
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all! First time poster and newbie to networking here.

As a personal project and achievement I am hoping to get this 897 series router setup as my home network router as an upgrade from my stock rubbish iinet one.

I am led to believe it is possible with this router, I am just unsure as the cisco CLI is not something I have used before.

Can any experienced veterans help a lad out?

I am not really sure where to start in terms of deploying this thing. My networking teacher at TaFE (im a cert III student currently)  says that Cisco routers are a powerful tool to wield if you know how to use them correctly, especially on a trashy little home network.

Any pointers or insight would be greatly appreciated!

31 Replies 31

Hello,

the first thing you want to check is if you can directly connect your 897 router to whatever handoff your ISP provides, or if you need to use it as an additional device behind your ISP modem/router. Both setups are fairly easy to accomplish, only the configuration of the 897 differs slightly. If you have any experiemce with Cisco IOS, try and see if you can post the output of the command 'show run'....

Hi! 

I dont fully understand what you mean by "the first thing you want to check is if you can directly connect your 897 router to whatever handoff your ISP provides, or if you need to use it as an additional device behind your ISP modem/router."

Anywho here is the show run command output, I hope this is what you were after?

Router#show run
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 2255 bytes
!
! Last configuration change at 07:26:46 UTC Sun Sep 26 2021
!
version 15.5
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Router
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
!
enable secret redacted
enable password redacted
!
no aaa new-model
ethernet lmi ce
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
! !! noipv6 cef
ore--
! multilauth enticated
!--More-- !
chat-script lte "" "AT!CALL" TMEOUT 20 "OK"
!--More--
! li cense udE-GA-K9 sn FCZ1944C1JS ! -!More--
!
!
-!Mo
!--More--
troller VDSL 0
!
-controller Cell lte modemssi onset-threshold -110
- lte modem link-reimer 20 l te modem link-rec 10
lte modem link-recovery debounce-count 6
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
! interace AT M0
o ip address
shutdown
no atm ilmi-keepalive inte r slip dialer in-band
- dialer st!
-interface Ce no ip dress encapsulation slip !in ter ss
n
iterface GigabitEthernet0 interfae GigabitEthernet1
no ip address
- shutdown !
interface GibitEthernet2
no ip address
shutdown in terfac
GigabitEthernet4
no ip address ! t Ethernet5
no ip address
shutdown !
ace GigabitEthernet6 n o i address
hutdown !
interface GigabitEthernet7 no shutdon
inthernet8
p address 172.1.2.3 255.255.0.0
o
speed auto
!--More--
nterface Vlan1 n o ip address
- ! ip l nd
http server
no ip http secure-server ! -!More
!--More-- sn mp-serv! p ! mgcp behavior rsip-range tgcp-only
mgcp behavior comedia-role none
mgcp behavior comedia-check-media-src disable
mgcp behavior comedia-sdp-force disable
!
mgcp profile default
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
line con 0
no line aux 0 l ine 2 -
-- no activa no eec a
transport prefer transp stopbits 1
line 3
- script dial no exec line 8
- no exec pa ssword redacted
login t ranspinput none
!More--
scheduler alloc!
-end

Hello,

sorry for the confusion: what I meant is, depending on what your ISP puts into your home, you might be able to hook the 897 up directly to that, or you might have to connect it to the existing modem/router.

Either way, the config below should get the 897 connected to the Internet:

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.1
!
ip dhcp pool LAN
network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.1.1
dns-server 8.8.8.8
!
interface GigabitEthernet8
ip address dhcp
ip nat outside
!
interface Vlan1
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
!
ip nat inside source list 1 interface GigabitEthernet8
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 GigabitEthernet8 dhcp
!
access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

Oh I see, I am hoping I can run the 897 standalone, my current router is rubbish so I would expect using it as a bridge to the 897 would render the same bad performance from the current router even if the 897 were faster yes?

With your config you kindly posted, do I need to perform a reset on the 897 before I input that data, or anything like that?

Hello,

no reset required  just make sure the config I sent is in there. That said, the throughput of the 897 is not really great, don't expect Gigabit speed...

Cool beans, I put the config in but there doesn't seem to be any activity from the router.

Do you know where I should start troubleshooting?

Hello,

with no activity meaning: are there any LEDs on at all ? Maybe if possible you can post a picture of your physical setup ?

Basically on my computer the ethernet port is not detected as having a cable connected. I have tried a few cables which none work, so I think I need to set something else on the router up perhaps?

Hello,

which LEDs are on ? Post a picture of the router showing the LEDs (with LAN and WAN cables connected)...

Hello
Can you confrm the router you are replacing is your own and its not the NBN device the ISP installed as part of your FTTP setup?

So now this 897 rtr is going to be physically connected to the ISP NBN box/modem ?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello! I am replacing my ISP provided router with an 897, it will be connected to the NTD directly.

Hello
First of all some ISP's tie down their own devices via the physical address of the network card within the router they supply, So its possible you may need to "spoof" the NBN device into thinking its connected to the old rtr.

If you can obtain the mac-address of the old rtr and apply that to the wan interface of the 897 interface and test again

int x/x
description WAN facing
mac address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
ip address dhcp
no shut

sh ip int brief

However, if you are replacing the ISP modem and router then you need configure your 897 to establish a VDSL connection( i am assuming it will be VDSL not ADSL) which will mean creation of a tagged(vlan) VDSL subinterface and a dialer ppoe interface for the ISP connection ( Note: The vlan tag needs to be supplied by your ISP)

Please confirm above then we can provide you with the appropriate configuration necessary to establish connectivity.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

leontunnie
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

Did you end up getting this running?

Hello,

you have an 897 router ? Can you post the config and indicate who your ISP is ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card