Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco asa or router for site to site tunnel

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I have a requirement to build a site to site tunnel to my head office from a remote office. My question is, should I use an asa the other end, or should I install a router with a zoned firewall and use a vti tunnel.

Can I create a vti tunnel on a router to the asa in my hq?

You cant run routing protocols over the asa site to site tunnel so I thought a router would be better.

Your thoughts please

2 Replies 2

cflory
Level 1
Level 1

You could certainly use a router to terminate the VPN tunnel.  You'll use an IPSec over GRE tunnel for your routing protocols:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk827/tk369/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800946b8.shtml

or

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009438e.shtml

Do you have a private circuit (MPLS, etc..), or just a local Internet circuit at the remote site?  If you have both (Internet used as backup for the MPLS), you could terminate the VPN tunnel on an ASA, and then have a primary GRE tunnel over the MPLS, and a secondary (higher cost) GRE tunnel over the backup Internet path.

HTH!

-Chris

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I haven't worked with ASA tunnels, but site-to-site router tunnels work fine, including routing across them.  One trick to improve tunnel performance across Internet, don't use link for other than tunnel traffic so that you "know" and can manage the tunnel bandwidth.  (If site needs general Internet access, ideally, use another interface.)  Also, for an Internet tunnel, you don't need firewall features to secure the tunneling router just for site-to-site tunnels.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card