cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASR A901-6CZ-F-A 10GbE Licensing - Please help!

doreskicisco1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,
Hoping someone can help me. I haven't dealt much with ASR's and I have had a client purchase a Cisco ASR A901-6CZ-F-A 10GbE.
I have had a look and it does have the following image installed:

IOS: asr901-universalk9-mz.156-2.SP9.bin

Looking through the documentation, it looks like the client will need to also purchase a licence to 'enable' the 2x 10Gb SFP+ ports. Along with that, they will also need to purchase further licences for the other 8x SFP ports, along with 8x 1Gb Ethernet ports. Is that correct?

Again, not having dealt with ASR's, mostly ISR's.. I can't say I've come across needing a licence to enable ports. SPF's ports on 'regular' switches and routers that I have come across, dont need licences, especially 1Gb ethernet ports?
I know the ASR is end of life, however, the client purchased it anyhow. I was thinking of an ASR 1000 series, but the client purchased this without my knowledge (which yes, is also end of life) so now I just need to make it work (assuming I can).

Any information would be great appreciated!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The ASR 901 product line End-of-Sale / End-of-Life announcement was issued 30 June 2019, with the EoS date being 29 June 2020. This means that it is no longer possible to purchase licenses for the ASR 901 as of the 2020 EoS date, whether for IOS, advanced features like timing, or enabling SFP+ ports to operate at 10G. It also means that your client did not purchase a new unit from Cisco or an authorized Cisco reseller, nor can they attach a Cisco service contract to this unit (last date for new service attachment was 29 June 2021). [Note: I am assuming your client recently purchased this 901, after the EoS date]

The best course of action for your client would be to return the 901 to the seller for a refund and purchase a product that is not EoS/EoL from an authorized Cisco channel. However, as not all sellers on the secondary market (unauthorized resellers of used equipment) are reputable, it may not be possible to get a refund. In that case your client can run the 901 with 10G ports operating at 1G without having a legal right-to-use for their copy of IOS, or they can chalk this up to a lesson-learned, e-waste the router, and start over.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

View solution in original post

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@doreskicisco1 

Unfortunatelly the ASR 901 product line End-of-Sale / End-of-Life announcement was issued 30 June 2019, with the EoS date being 29 June 2020. You can't purchase licenses at this stage, so you need to replace the ASR with the next available replacement ASR-920-12CZ-A suggested by Cisco and buy the required licenses.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes correct you need to buy additional License (if you not buy one for the full 10GB speed to work)

check below guide license to order :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-901-series-aggregation-services-routers/data_sheet_c78-686453.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

doreskicisco1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi BB,
Thank you for the reply.
So, I did have a look at that, however, I am still confused.
By the looks of things, I think the client would need to purchase the below for the 2x 10Gb SPF ports: 

FLS-A901-2Z

ASR 901 2x 10GE Port SFP Upgrade License

I think that would be the correct licence for the 10Gb SFP+ port.
But, is that the only licence the client would need to get? There are another 8x SFP ports and 8x 1Gb ethernet ports. Would they need a licence for those as well? If so, which ones would be required? Surely they wouldn't need a licence for the ethernet ports?

Again, any help would be appreciated! Thanks everyone.

The ASR 901 product line End-of-Sale / End-of-Life announcement was issued 30 June 2019, with the EoS date being 29 June 2020. This means that it is no longer possible to purchase licenses for the ASR 901 as of the 2020 EoS date, whether for IOS, advanced features like timing, or enabling SFP+ ports to operate at 10G. It also means that your client did not purchase a new unit from Cisco or an authorized Cisco reseller, nor can they attach a Cisco service contract to this unit (last date for new service attachment was 29 June 2021). [Note: I am assuming your client recently purchased this 901, after the EoS date]

The best course of action for your client would be to return the 901 to the seller for a refund and purchase a product that is not EoS/EoL from an authorized Cisco channel. However, as not all sellers on the secondary market (unauthorized resellers of used equipment) are reputable, it may not be possible to get a refund. In that case your client can run the 901 with 10G ports operating at 1G without having a legal right-to-use for their copy of IOS, or they can chalk this up to a lesson-learned, e-waste the router, and start over.

If you looking for 10GB Internet connection, you need 10GB Licese to handly traffic.

I was not looked is Cisco still able to offer you that License in the market.

Also consider looking short term - 920 model  - For Long term t look for Catalyst 8K New Model Routers for your requirement.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@doreskicisco1 

Unfortunatelly the ASR 901 product line End-of-Sale / End-of-Life announcement was issued 30 June 2019, with the EoS date being 29 June 2020. You can't purchase licenses at this stage, so you need to replace the ASR with the next available replacement ASR-920-12CZ-A suggested by Cisco and buy the required licenses.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

doreskicisco1
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you everyone!
I will inform my client. I guess that is what happens when you do things without research on your own!.
I will look into the ASR-920-12CZ-A. Can't say I have ever needed to organise 10Gb SFP+ licensing.
I hope it won't be a cumbersome experience.

Thanks again everyone! Much 
appreciated!

Does your client need a router with Outside Plant (OSP) Class 2 environmentals? These are typically deployed by SPs in outdoor cabinets for access network use-cases such as mobility backhaul. Both the ASR 901 and ASR 920 were specifically designed for Class 2 deployments in SP access networks. 

The reason I bring this up is that if your client will not be deploying in OSP, then you will find a wider range of less expensive routers than the 920 that were designed for ā€œindoorā€ environments (eg, data centers or wiring closets).

Hi Ramblin,
Thank you for the reply.
I don't think they do, and I will confirm, however I think the main issue lays in the 10Gb connection that is/will be required.
I dont believe there is (always happy to be corrected) an ISR that can handle a potential (I think its 1Gb at the moment, but will potentially go higher) 10Gb internet connection. Hence the reason they were looking at an ASR.

Any recommendations on your part that I can look into?

Thanks again!

The ASR 901 and 920 support 10GE interfaces at a relatively low price point and in a small physical footprint because they forward in hardware (NPU), rather than software (CPU). Cisco's enterprise product lines are no longer my forte (it's been almost 20 years since I worked as a Cisco SE on enterprise accounts), but I believe that the ASR 1000 product line (your original recommendation to the client) would likely be the best enterprise product set for this use-case. The ASR 1K also forwards in hardware, but without the extra engineering and costs associated with environmental hardening. [I say all this without actually having access to list prices anymore. I am assuming that the 1K can be purchased for less than the 920].

It is my understanding that the Cat 8000 line represents the successor to the ISRs and, like them, forwards in software. The Cat 9000 line forwards in hardware, but it appears to me that it is targeted more at campus and data center switching than being an edge router for ISP peering.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card