cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASR - IDB

andre.ortega
Spotlight
Spotlight

What is Maximum Number of Interfaces and Subinterfaces (IDB) for Cisco ASR?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I went looking for an exact number however I could not find any literature on this. Saw a lab test for a script running to configure 10000 sub-interfaces to see when it would cut out on the ASR but unfortunately it didn't and all 10000 successfully configured. The number was increased to 12000 and again these successfully configured.

I am therefore unable to say if there is a definitive cut off point, however having a lot of sub-interfaces can cause issues like high CPU when saving config for example. It would also come down to the boxes performance with these interfaces configured.

Cheers,

Eehab

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Eehab Suliman
Level 1
Level 1

Depends on the platform.

Show idb will give you the maximum number allowed on the device

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a0080094322.shtml

Cheers,

Eehab

Ok. I need information about ASR series. I dont have this equipament yet.

I went looking for an exact number however I could not find any literature on this. Saw a lab test for a script running to configure 10000 sub-interfaces to see when it would cut out on the ASR but unfortunately it didn't and all 10000 successfully configured. The number was increased to 12000 and again these successfully configured.

I am therefore unable to say if there is a definitive cut off point, however having a lot of sub-interfaces can cause issues like high CPU when saving config for example. It would also come down to the boxes performance with these interfaces configured.

Cheers,

Eehab

Thanks for your attention.

If you find any documentation about this, please let me know.

Regards.

No problem.

I will have some free time later in the day to reasearch this more.

Will drop you a line if i documentation.

Cheers,

Eehab

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card