Helpful
Replies

Cisco Core Switch connect to Link Balancer

sanjaycaring
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I need your expertise on the following.

Need to configure a core switch accordingly (excluding Link Balancer).

As per network diagram that i have come up with, i am clueless on where to start with the configuration as i dont have strong core knowledge in cisco configuration.

Cisco Router (interface gigabitethernet 0/1) connects to port 1 of core switch on the following vlan 2.

Port 2 of core switch connects to Link 1 of Link balancer. Port 6 of core switch connects to link 2 on following vlan 3.

If any one can share the configuration accordingly; it would be off great help for me to learn further.

Thank you.

Regards Sanjay

7 Replies 7

What is the purpose of the link balancer, can you share the model number so I can find a data sheet on it to see its purpose.

regards

Richard

Dear richard

Thanks for your kind reply. Link balancer that we have is more has a wan traffic shaper and ISP fault tolerance for redundancy. Thus when 1 link balancer fails; it auto switches to the secondary balancer which is not shown in the network diagram. 

Currently I want to connect our ISP router ge0/1 to port 1 of Cisco switch - port 2 of Cisco switch to LB primary and others accordingly to the network diagram along with vlan. Need not worry about the lb configuration as vendor will take care of it. 

Please do assist me and below is the steps I tried but I know have failed miserably.  Thanks. 

In L3 core switch: 

Creating Vlan: 

L3S(config)#vlan 2 
L3S(config-vlan)#name CoreToRouter
L3S(config-vlan)#exit 

Assigning switchport fa0/1 to vlan 2: 

L3S(config)#interface fa0/1 
L3S(config-if)#switchport mode access
L3S(config-if)#switchport access vlan 2 
L3S(config-if)#no shut
L3S(config-if)#exit

Pointing to Router gigabitethernet ge0/1

L3S(config)#interface vlan 2
L3S(config-if)#ip address 66.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 
L3S(config-if)#no shutdown 
L3S(config-if)#exit

Assigning switchport fa0/2 to vlan 2: 

L3S(config)#interface fa0/2 
L3S(config-if)#switchport mode access
L3S(config-if)#switchport access vlan 2 
L3S(config-if)#no shut
L3S(config-if)#exit

Pointing to link balancer: 

L3S(config)#interface vlan 2
L3S(config-if)#ip address 66.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 
L3S(config-if)#no shutdown 
L3S(config-if)#exit

Just to add on Richard; the L3 switch has already been implemented in environment. Just that we have introduced the link balancer few days back; thus need configuration on the L3 accordingly. Thanks. 

Let me get this clear from your internal network to the Internet the route is

Internal(switch trunk)> firewall> LB> switch> Cisco router?

I dont know why your switch has an IP address on vlan 2, wouldn't it just pass data thru from the LB to the Cisco router? or has the switch got vlan interfaces for all your vlans shown in your diagram.

Internal(switch trunk)> firewall> LB> L3 core Cisco switch> Cisco router. 

Each ports will have a vlan according to the network diagram.

Any good methods for designing and configuration? 

Please help me out. Thanks. 

A full config of the core switch would be goodthe vlan interface addressing at least

from your diagram it looks like the  LB does the L3 routing  between the firewall vlan 4 and the router vlan 2. is this correct?

give me a clue on IP addressing. I think a problem you are going to have is if you have a vlan interface on the Core Switch on vlan 2 and vlan 4 traffic will bypass the LB

The LB will be updated with the range of Public IP address: 
200.227.100.62/28,

L3 switch IP address is 10.1.1.1

·  No changes are needed on our firewall inorder to route the traffic via the range of IPs 200.227.100.62/28

· No changes are needed on our firewall inorder to route the traffic via the LB through the  internet links

· All the NAT request are configured on firewall

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card