cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Hardware VPN to Multitech 820

cbvisser1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 2650XM and a Multitech 820 and I am wondering if any one has any experience getting a VPN up between the two types of routers? Attached is the IPSec setup screen for a multitech.

Any Ideas?

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chad,

this is possible if the C2650XM IOS image supports IPSec.

post a sh ver | inc image

important note:

pfs to be noted can have performance impact.

see an example similar here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/sec_secure_connectivity/configuration/guide/sec_cfg_vpn_ipsec_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1048680

Hope to help

Giuseppe

The version I have does support IPSec because I have a VPN up between two cisco routers with this version: flash:c2600-jk9s-mz.123-17c.bin

What is the pfs?

Thanks so far

Hello Chad,

pfs = perfect forward secrecy improves encryption

follow Pompey's suggestions starting as simple as possible is the best approach.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

Where exactly is it failing? Are you getting passed phase 1?

When i run into trouble with VPN's I like to dial down the enc/hash level. I also like to remove any superfluous stuff. Try establishing a 3DES/MD5 SA using a basic key (cisco12345) default timers and no PFS. Don't use FQDN's either until your sure you can establish the SA using just the IP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card